Transportation systems management and operations
Texas roads are busier than ever and more drivers increase the potential for crashes and congestion.
TxDOT is addressing these issues through the implementation of Transportation Systems Management & Operations and has developed a statewide TSMO Strategic Plan.
TSMO is a strategic approach to proactively improve mobility for all modes of transportation by integrating planning and design with operations and maintenance to holistically manage the transportation network and optimize existing infrastructure.
The TxDOT Traffic Safety Division oversees the development and implementation of TSMO for TxDOT divisions and districts.
With the current pace of development and growth, vehicle miles traveled and congestion are expected to get worse across Texas. The statewide TSMO program aims to improve mobility and safety through coordinated strategies that are supported by well-defined institutional arrangements, standard operating procedures, and regional partnerships with stakeholder agencies. TSMO will also develop a culture that recognizes traffic management systems as a core priority, supported by dedicated programs and funding and optimizing the existing infrastructure by increasing throughput and restoring system capacity.
TSMO focuses on the customer throughout the project development process by prioritizing mobility solutions and intelligent transportation systems. TSMO mobility strategies and ITS technologies are relatively low in cost, can be implemented faster, and have higher benefit-cost ratios compared to projects adding roadway capacity. For more information on the rationale behind TSMO, see the TSMO General Flyer.
TSMO vision, mission, goals, and objectives
Statewide TSMO Vision: Improve safety and mobility for all modes of transportation by integrating planning, design, operations, and maintenance activities and acknowledging all opportunities for innovation.
Statewide TSMO Mission: Through innovation, collaboration, and performance‐based decision making, the existing transportation facilities are developed, constructed, maintained, and operated cost‐effectively with the end user in mind.
Statewide TSMO goals and objectives:
- Safety - Reduce crashes and fatalities through continuous improvement of traffic management systems and procedures.
- Reliability - Optimize travel times on transportation systems in critical corridors to ensure travelers are reaching their destinations in the amount of time they expected for the journey.
- Efficiency - Implement projects that optimize existing transportation system capacity and alleviate congestion.
- Customer Service - Provide timely and accurate travel information to customers so they can make informed mobility decisions.
- Collaboration - Proactively manage and operate an integrated transportation system through multijurisdictional coordination and cooperation between various transportation disciplines and partner agencies.
- Integration - Prioritize TSMO as a core objective in the agency's planning, design, construction, operations and maintenance activities.
TSMO program and tactical plans
District/region TSMO Program and Tactical Plans will be made available as they are developed. The TSMO district program plans that are currently available can be accessed through the links below:
- Abilene District TSMO Program Plan
- Amarillo District TSMO Program Plan
- Amarillo District TSMO Program Plan
- Amarillo District ITS Master Implementation Plan
- Atlanta District ITS Master Plan
- Atlanta District TSMO Program Plan
- Austin District TSMO Program Plan
- Austin District TSMO Program Plan Quick Reference Guide
- Beaumont District TSMO Program Plan
- Bryan District TSMO Program Plan
- Childress District TSMO Program Plan
- Dallas – Fort Worth Districts TSMO Program Plan
- El Paso District TSMO Program Plan
- El Paso District Regional ITS Architecture Report
- El Paso District ITS Master Implementation Plan
- Houston District TSMO Program Plan
- Lubbock District TSMO Program Plan
- Lufkin District TSMO Program Plan
- Lufkin District ITS Master Plan
- Odessa District TSMO Program Plan
- Paris District TSMO Program Plan
- San Angelo District ITS Master Plan
- San Antonio District TSMO Program Plan
- Tyler District TSMO Program Plan
- Waco District TSMO Program Plan
- Wichita Falls District TSMO Program Plan
- Yoakum District TSMO Program Plan
- Yoakum District ITS Master Plan
More about TSMO
TSMO Implementation requires guidance and implementation of standards for mobility strategies in a common, consistent manner while accounting for geographic, geologic, demographic, and other differences among the 25 TxDOT Districts. Through the implementation of TSMO, TxDOT developed resources for TxDOT districts and partner agencies to reference and implement as part of their TSMO efforts.
- TSMO FAQs
- Statewide Strategic Plan
- Policies and Procedures
- Systems Engineering
- Standards and Specifications
- Technology Solutions
- Connected and Autonomous Vehicles
- Performance Measures
- TSMO Evaluation Tool
- Data Platform
- Information Management
- Standard Operating Procedures
- Benefit Cost Analysis