Texting and cellphone laws - distracted driving
Driving safety and laws
Texting while driving is illegal everywhere in Texas, and some cities ban all cellphone use while driving. But using your cellphone while driving is always dangerous because it’s distracted driving.
Cellphone laws to remember
- You cannot send or receive electronic messages while driving in Texas.
- Drivers with learner's permits are prohibited from using cellphones in the first six months of driving.
- Using any handheld device in your vehicle in a school zone is illegal.
- Drivers under the age of 18 are prohibited from using handheld devices.
- School bus drivers may not use cellphones at all while driving if children are present.
- Cellphone laws can change from city to city.
- Learn more about Texas texting while driving laws.
Drive safe and informed
- Never use your cellphone while driving.
- Pull off the road entirely and come to a complete stop before you talk or text
- Familiarize yourself with local laws.
See our Talk. Text. Crash. safety campaign.