State Safety Oversight Program
The Federal Transit Administration (FTA) created the State Safety Oversight (SSO) Program to improve rail transit safety and security.
Rail Fixed-Guideway Systems (RFGS) affected by this program include any light, heavy, or rapid rail system, monorail, inclined plane, funicular, trolley or automated guideway operating within the state's jurisdiction that:
- is not regulated by the Federal Railroad Administration
- is included in FTA's calculation of fixed-guideway route miles or receives funding under FTA's formula program for urbanized areas (49 U.S.C. 5336) or
- has submitted documentation to FTA indicating its intent to be included in FTA's calculation of fixed-guideway route miles to receive funding under FTA's formula program for urbanized areas (49 U.S.C. 5336)
Detailed information about the program can be found in the State Safety and Security Oversight Program Standard.
- 2020 State Safety Oversight Program Standard
- 2020 State Safety Oversight Program Annual Status Report to the Governor and Rail Transit Agency Boards
- SSO Tracker Reporting System User Guide
Rail Transit Agencies
There are currently six RFGS's subject to the provisions of the SSO program:
|Galveston Island Trolley||3115 Market St.
Galveston, TX 77550
|Dallas Area Rapid Transit||1401 Pacific Ave.
Dallas, TX 75202
|Metropolitan Transit Authority
of Harris County
|1900 Main St.
Houston, TX 77208
|Dallas Streetcar||City of Dallas
Public Works Department Transportation Planning
1500 Marilla St., Room L1BS
Dallas, TX 75201
|McKinney Avenue Transit Authority
||3153 Oak Grove Ave.
Dallas, TX 75204
|El Paso Streetcar||
Transit Operations Center