In the urban areas of Texas, concentrations of emissions from automotive exhaust pose a potential threat to human health. Ways to improve air quality include:
- Use public transportation / carpools.
- Use alternative fuels in the TxDOT fleet.
- Create High Occupancy Vehicle (HOV) lanes.
- Add capacity to highways to reduce idling.
- Improve railroad crossings to prevent vehicle stopping.
The Take Care of Texas Campaign is a statewide initiative that makes Texas drivers aware of the seriousness of air pollution, educates them about reducing emissions and encourages changes in driving habits.