Austin Highway Emergency Response Operator (HERO) Roadside Assistance Program
Call 512-974-HERO to request HERO assistance.
|US 183, SH 71, US 290 and Loop 1||I-35 from SH 195 to the Comal County line||I-35 between SH 45 North and SH 45 Southeast|
|Monday through Friday - 5 a.m. to 9 p.m.||
Monday through Friday - 5 a.m. to 9 p.m.
Saturday and Sunday - 7 a.m. to 7 p.m.
|Monday through Friday - 24 hours|
TxDOT, in partnership with the Capital Area Metropolitan Planning Organization, operates a free Highway Emergency Response Operator (HERO) patrol service program to clear minor crashes from area roadways and assist motorists in need.
The goal of the HERO program is to improve safety and keep traffic flowing along 138 miles of I-35, US 183, US 290, SH 71, and Loop 1 (MoPac) in the greater Austin area.
Nationally, approximately 20% of all traffic incidents are a secondary incident. By removing stranded motorists from the roadway and providing motorists warning of stopped vehicles ahead, we can greatly reduce the number of these crashes.
HERO services include:
- Relocating disabled vehicles to safety
- Removing minor crashes from the roadway
- Providing traffic and lane control at crash scenes
- Removing debris from travel lanes
- Changing flat tires
- Giving air to low tires
- Adding gasoline and water
- Performing minor vehicle repairs
- Jump-starting batteries
- Assisting first responders at crash scenes
- Providing drinking water and cell phone services to stranded motorists
If you've had occasion to use the HERO service, we welcome your feedback through this four-minute survey. Thank you for your time.