US 285 North: 0.2 mile south of New Mexico state line to Pecos
TxDOT is proposing improvements to US 285 North from 0.2 mile south of the New Mexico state line to Pecos, Texas. The project is approximately 51 miles long and passes through Culberson and Reeves counties.
The project's goals are to improve safety and enhance mobility on and near US 285 North. Between 2016 and 2021, traffic along this roadway increased by 34.5 percent and more than 839 crashes were recorded between 2016 and 2021.
The proposed project would include:
- Widening to a four-lane divided highway with two lanes in each direction, as well as both inside and outside shoulders
- A wide center median and/or barrier
- Providing median openings as needed. Median openings would include left-turn/deceleration lanes
The purpose of public involvement is to share project information and updates, present proposed project information, and collect public input. TxDOT is committed to working closely with the public on this project. All input will be considered as TxDOT moves forward in developing a plan to enhance the safety of this corridor while preparing for future growth.
Public involvement schedule (subject to change):
- Virtual Public Meeting #1 - Wednesday, June 16, 2021
- Schematic Development and Environmental Documentation - Ongoing
- Virtual Public Meeting #2 – 2023
- Opportunity for a Public Hearing – 2024
- Approval of Schematic Development and Environmental Documentation – 2024
- Construction – 2028
Note: Schedule is subject to change
- Fact Sheet
- Fact Sheet (Español)