SH 18 South: FM 1776 south of Monahans to West 53rd Lane north of Fort Stockton
The SH 18 South project focuses on the stretch of roadway between FM 1776 south of Monahans to West 53rd Lane north of Fort Stockton and is the main connector between the two cities. The goals of the SH 18 South project are to increase mobility, enhance safety and upgrade the roadway. Currently, 23.4 percent of the traffic on SH 18 South comes from trucks; the roadway is an important energy sector facility.
The SH 18 South proposed improvements include:
- Widening from a two-lane undivided highway to a four-lane divided highway with a four-foot-wide inside and a 10-foot-wide outside shoulders
- A grassy median to separate traffic
- Intersection improvements such as adding turn lanes, crossovers and possible grade separations
- No improvements are proposed through Royalty or Grandfalls
The purpose of public involvement is to share project information and updates, present proposed project information, and collect public input. TxDOT is committed to working closely with the public on this project. All input will be considered as TxDOT moves forward in developing a plan to enhance the safety of this corridor while preparing for future growth.
Public Involvement Schedule (subject to change):
- Wednesday, July 28, 2021 - Virtual Public Meeting
- Early 2023 - Virtual Public Meeting
- Spring 2024 - Finalize Schematic Development and Environmental Documentation
- Fact Sheet
- Fact Sheet (Español)