SH 18 North: New Mexico state line to State Loop 464 south of Monahans
The SH 18 North project is designed to enhance mobility and improve safety along the SH 18 corridor from the New Mexico state line to south of Interstate 20 in Monahans. The capacity of the existing SH 18 roadway cannot meet the needs of current and proposed traffic volumes and loads associated with energy production activity in the Permian Basin. Existing roadway conditions are experiencing reduced safety due to outdated design standards and deteriorating pavement conditions resulting from heavy freight loads.
The proposed project would include the following upgrades to the existing roadway:
- Widening to a four-lane divided highway, with two lanes in each direction with a center median or barrier
- Turn lanes at various intersections throughout the entire length of the project
TxDOT will consider a number of items in the preliminary design and environmental evaluation of proposed roadway improvements including:
- Safety: From 2016-2019, there were approximately 435 recorded crashes and 13 deaths from crashes on SH 18 North. The most common crashes involved rear-end collisions (32 percent) or single motor vehicle (25 percent). 50 percent of crashes were intersection related.
- Traffic: Traffic volumes along SH 18 North grew by 90 percent between 2015 and 2019 and are projected to grow by another 65 percent by 2044 with truck traffic ranging between 28-33 percent of the total daily traffic.
- Population Growth: Population grew in Ward and Winker counties by 12.7 percent between 2010 and 2019 and is projected to grow by an additional 150 percent by 2050.
Project Location Map
Existing Typical Section
Proposed Typical Section
The purpose of public involvement is to share project information and updates, present proposed project information, and collect public input. TxDOT is committed to working closely with the public on this project. All input will be considered as TxDOT moves forward in developing a plan to enhance the safety of this corridor while preparing for future growth.
Public Involvement Schedule (subject to change):
- Wednesday, Aug. 18, 2021 - Virtual Public Meeting
- Summer 2022 - Public Meeting #2
- Spring 2024 - Opportunity for Public Hearing
- Fall 2024 - Anticipated Environmental Clearance
Odessa District Office
3901 E. Highway 80
Odessa, TX 79761