Archeology and history
Campaigns and outreach
Archeology and history: Texas' cultural environment
As TxDOT builds roads and bridges, archeologists and historians review how transportation projects might affect Texas' history, heritage and cultural environment.
Addressing cultural resources is one step in the environmental review process that all projects must go through before construction. It is part of what we do that goes Beyond the Road.
- NEW: Learn more about TxDOT’s program and your role in our virtual training space.
- Check out TxDOT's current archeology projects or other environmental processes.
- Get involved in historic preservation at TxDOT.
- Visit the Roadside Chat page to see webinars and podcasts about topics that go Beyond The Road.
Cultural resource projects
TxDOT consults with the Texas Historical Commission, the cultural resources community and federally recognized Native American tribes to determine how to manage cultural resources under the guidance of the National Historic Preservation Act.
If a project cannot avoid affecting a cultural resource, TxDOT can mitigate adverse effects by excavating, studying and curating artifacts; documenting artifacts or historic resources; and/or public outreach. This research adds to the knowledge base of and engages the community in Texas history.
Archeology projects include:
History projects include:
- Texas historic bridges
- Texas' Broadway of America - An interpretive plan for museums about the Bankhead Highway
- Adventure and Agriculture - An interpretive plan for museums about Texas Aviation
- A Journey Through Chihuahuita
- Bankhead Highway
- Agricultural Theme Study for Central Texas
- Texas General Aviation
Did you know that at one time, at least 28 federally-recognized tribes called Texas home? Many tribal members continue to live, work, and play here. Their traditions are Texas traditions. Learn more about their roots through our new publication Texas & Tribes: Shared Traditions. Are you an educator or a parent? Then download our companion educational activities guide.