Roadside Chat webinar and podcast
Beyond the Road campaign
This webinar and podcast series covers topics around TxDOT’s discoveries and research that go Beyond The Road. We hope you join us for the next series!
Protecting migrating Monarchs
Tuesday, October 31, 2023, 10 a.m. CT
Between September and November, ninety percent of all monarch butterflies migrate through Texas. Their journey is arduous—and only getting harder. Over the last 20 years, Monarch numbers have declined due to weather changes, pesticides, and loss of habitat. Surveys in Texas have found that 2-4% of the monarch population is lost along roadways due to collisions with high-speed vehicles.
Learn how TxDOT is protecting these important pollinators through research, conservation agreements, vegetation programs, and new tools.
- John Maresh - Environmental Specialist/Biologist, TxDOT
- Sam Glinsky - Vegetation Specialist, TxDOT
- Historic bridge survey update
- When the Journey is the Destination: Park Road History, Design, and Landscapes
- Miles and Miles of Texas
- Wonders of Wildflowers
- Stories of Texas Bridges
- Traveling Texas Roads: The Legacy of Roadside Parks
- Bolivar: The Once Wild West
- The Green Book: How Black Americans Traveled During the Jim Crow Era
- A Dog's Nose Knows: Using Cadaver Dogs to Search for Ancient Burials on TxDOT sites
- Discovering Traces of the Caddo in North East Texas
- Dig into a Historic Blacksmith Shop in Denton County
- Ongoing Analyses at the Casa Frio Site