Roadside Chat webinar and podcast
Beyond The Road Campaign
This webinar and podcast series covers topics around TxDOT’s discoveries and research that go Beyond The Road. We hope you join us for the next series!
When the Journey is the Destination: Park Road History, Design, and Landscapes
March 23, 2022
2 p.m. Central
Your journey begins when you enter a Texas State Park. The winding road offers you a sneak peek of what’s to come. As you cruise along, you notice trees, plants, and animals, or you spot a rustic-looking cabin.
Park roads may look natural, but they are designed spaces that combine scenic vistas, natural habitats, historic features, and visitor amenities. This webinar will explore the design history of park roads in Texas.
You'll learn how National Park Service planners in the 1930s influenced state park design and hear from today's planners about current thinking and challenges. Case studies featuring Bastrop, Mother Neff, and Goose Island State Parks will explore how extreme weather events impacted park roads and how TxDOT and TPWD partnered to protect them.
- Jennifer Carpenter, Historic Preservation Specialist, TxDOT
- JJ Fleury, Planning and Geospatial Resource Manager, Texas State Parks
- When the Journey is the Destination: Park Road History, Design, and Landscapes
- Miles and Miles of Texas
- Wonders of Wildflowers
- Stories of Texas Bridges
- Traveling Texas Roads: The Legacy of Roadside Parks
- Bolivar: The Once Wild West
- The Green Book: How Black Americans Traveled During the Jim Crow Era
- A Dog's Nose Knows: Using Cadaver Dogs to Search for Ancient Burials on TxDOT sites
- Discovering Traces of the Caddo in North East Texas
- Dig into a Historic Blacksmith Shop in Denton County
- Ongoing Analyses at the Casa Frio Site