|Seven-year-old Ava Liberty Smith's poster was judged first in the ages 6-9 category.
Thirteen students ages 7 to 16 were named winners in TxDOT's 2015 Aviation Art Contest for Texas.
Entries were judged in three classes, according to age and at least in part for creative use of the theme in relation to the aviation world.
All told, 850 students from 40 schools submitted entries in the Texas challenge of the International Aviation Art Contest, which is designed to encourage children to study aeronautics, engineering and science.
In the latest competition, students created posters about the Fédération Aéronautique Internationale (FAI) World Air Games Dubai 2015. Below are the Texas winners and links to their entries.
- First: Ava Liberty Smith, 7, Garden Ridge Elementary, New Braunfels
- Second: Hailey Zacarias, 9, Dr. Pat Henderson Elementary, San Antonio
- Third: Elijah Oestreich, 9, Winnsboro Elementary, Winnsboro
- Honorable Mentions: Dayna Coates, 9, Dr. Pat Henderson Elementary, San Antonio; Celeste Kwi, 9, HJM Elementary, Port Lavaca
- First: Sreeniketan Sai Senapathi, 11, Beckendorff Junior High, Katy
- Second: Avery Pulley, 12, Burnett Junior High, Wylie
- Third: Annie Kingston, 13, Burnett Junior High, Wylie
- Honorable Mention: Alejandro Coronado, 13, Armendariz Middle School, El Paso
- First: Chelsey Wen, 14, Jasper High, Plano
- Second: Daniela Saldivar, 16, JB Alexander High, Laredo
- Third: Geanine Dunovan, 15, JB Alexander High, Laredo
- Honorable Mention: Kayla Justiss, 14, Breckenridge High, Breckenridge