Be Safe. Drive Smart.
Be Safe. Drive Smart. is a year-long public education and awareness effort aimed at saving lives and reducing crashes. The umbrella campaign covers all aspects of safe driving with a special focus on traffic safety in the state’s energy sectors, work zones and along the I-35 corridor. Our goal is to make drivers aware of their own unsafe driving habits. How a driver behaves and reacts behind the wheel can be the difference between a safe journey and a deadly crash.
The State of Texas records over 3,000 traffic fatalities a year. TxDOT urges all drivers to observe safe driving practices:
- Be courteous to other drivers.
- Always buckle up, all riders, day and night.
- Pay attention, focus on driving when behind the wheel, put the phone away or turn it off.
- Drive to conditions, slow down when weather conditions are bad.
- Stop for all stop signs and red lights.
- Pass carefully when it’s legal and safe.
- Never drive after drinking alcohol or consuming other drugs or medications that cause drowsiness.
- Slow down or move over for flashing lights; a law enforcement vehicle, emergency vehicle, tow truck or TxDOT vehicle that may be stopped along the side of the road.
There are three other campaigns under the umbrella of Be Safe. Drive Smart. Follow the links below for more information: