General Topics Safety Campaign
Be Safe. Drive Smart.
If you are looking for tips on driving in wet or winter weather, pedestrian or bicycle safety, avoiding drowsy or aggressive highway driving, or school zone safety, it is covered by the General Topics Safety Campaign, which falls under the umbrella of Be Safe. Drive Smart.
Know before you go
Check weather forecasts before you hit the road and visit DriveTexas or call 800-452-9292 to check highway conditions and notices for road closures due to hazardous weather such as flooding or ice. You can also check us out on Facebook or Twitter pages for weather-related updates.
Here are more tips on driving in winter weather:
- Increase the space between you and the vehicle in front of you to at least three times the normal following distance.
- Slow down when approaching turns, bridges and shaded spots. Bridges and overpasses are the first places on a roadway to freeze.
- Brake gently, using slow, steady pushes to test traction.
- Don't use cruise control, which may cause you to lose control on icy surfaces.
- If you find yourself in a skid, stay calm and keep both hands on the wheel. Take your foot off the gas, look where you want to go and then steer in that direction.
- If you don't have to travel, stay home.
Drive Safe Texas website
DriveSafeTexas.org offers a mobile friendly platform and an extensive library of videos on safe driving topics. The downloadable videos and interactive quizzes on the site are a great resource for drivers, pedestrians, cyclists, traffic safety professionals and driving schools across the state.
We ask all drivers to do their part to be safe and drive smart. Practice patience and share the road with others. The life you save could be your own.
- Always buckle up - drivers and all riders, day and night.
- Be courteous to others on the road.
- Drive a safe speed for traffic, weather and road conditions.
- Put your phone away and focus 100% on driving.
- Stop for all stop signs and red lights.
- Use extra caution when driving at night or in bad weather.
- Yield to pedestrians and bicyclists when turning at crosswalks.
- Slow down in school zones and work zones.
- Never pass vehicles stopped at a crosswalk
- If you’re too drowsy to drive, pull over safely and take a rest.
- Never drive under the influence of alcohol or other drugs.
- 2022 Texas Road Tips Handbook
- Slow Down or Pay Up Billboard
- Speeding Slows You Down Billboard
- Own Up Speeding Push Card
- Own Up Speeding Poster
- Own Up Pedestrian Push Card
- Own Up Pedestrian Poster
- Own Up Work Zone Push Card
- Own Up Work Zone Poster
- Own Up School Zone Safety Push Card
- Own Up School Zone Safety Poster
- Winter Driving Push Card
- Winter Driving Poster
- PSA Reflector (English, Español)
- PSA Double Drowsy (English, Español)
- PSA Double Cross (English, Español)
- PSA Emotions (English, Español)
- PSA Garage Doors (English, Español)
- PSA Aggressive Driving (English, Español)