Be Safe. Drive Smart. - Drive a Safe Speed
Be Safe. Drive Smart. – Drive a Safe Speed
TxDOT's statewide "Be Safe. Drive Smart" speeding awareness campaign urges drivers to slow down and drive to conditions to help save lives.
Why do we need Texas drivers to slow down?
Drivers continue to go above the speed limit, making speeding the number one contributing factor in traffic crashes in our state.
Speeding increases the risk of death and serious injury in a collision. While traffic fatalities involving speed decreased 4.5% from 2021 to 2022 in Texas, 1,469 lives were lost on our roadways in speed-related crashes. When you speed, you can also face an expensive fine, court costs, and your insurance rates can go up.
To remind motorists that driving too fast can be dangerous and expensive, TxDOT is partnering with law enforcement agencies across the Lone Star State as they step up their efforts to enforce speed limits during Operation Slowdown July 14–30, 2023. In addition to writing tickets, law enforcement vehicles will spend extra time driving the roads, reminding motorists what a safe speed looks like.
What should drivers know?
Smart, safe driving means more than following the speed limit. TxDOT has these safety tips for motorists:
- Match your speed to road conditions if there's bad weather or you're driving through a work zone.
- Slow down and allow for more distance to stop when traffic is heavy or roads are slick.
- Watch for road signs alerting you of reduced speed limits ahead.
- Remember that fines double if you speed in a school zone or a work zone when workers are present.
- Always buckle up—drivers and passengers—day and night. It's your best protection in a crash.