100% PS&E Pre-Submittal Preparation
Updated guidance and requirements for 100% PS&E Submittal to Design Division. PS&E documents are shared with other divisions, as well as with FHWA, to ensure compliance with department policies and procedures. Please contact DES-FPP staff if you have any questions.
- Project Submittal Checklist
- PS&E Review SOP
- Electronic Plan Set Guidance
- Form 1002
- Engineer's Estimate
- General Notes
- Engineer's PE/Registered Landscape Architect Seal
- Certifications for Utilities, Right-of-Way (ROW), and Railroads
- Contract Time Determination Schedule
- Form 2229
- Form 2699
- Form 2502
- Design Exceptions and Design Waivers
Please fill out and submit with the supporting documents referenced below. Use the text box at the bottom of the form to explain the status of any submittal items that are incomplete or that require attention from DES-FPP staff.
ePS&E Helper manual and related tools to assist with the development of an electronic plan set and PDF portfolio for 100% PS&E Submittal.
Form 1002: PS&E Transmittal Data, link to eForms website – search for "1002" - TxDOT Intranet Only
1002 Section B & C, STIP and Environmental Clearance Status Guidance
1002 Section E, Railroad Coordination and Certification Memo, March 2016
1002 Section F, projects near airports require FAA approval - FAA Form 7460-1, from FAA website
1002 Section H & I, TDLR inspection request required for projects with at least $50,000 in pedestrian elements
- List of common Pedestrian/Bicycle Bid Items (must show Category "Pedestrian" in Estimate and fill in Pedestrian/Bicycles section of the Project Details screen in TxDOT Connect)
- TDLR Construction Accessibility Requirements Procedures, October 2018
- TDLR "Project Registration Form AB005", from TDLR forms website
- Form 2522: Request for Architectural Barriers Plan Review and Registration, link to eForms website - TxDOT Intranet Only
- Form 2523: Request for Architectural Barriers Inspection, link to eForms website- TxDOT Intranet Only
- Email CST_ADA_INSP@txdot.gov with any questions
1002 Section K, see Value Engineering Form 2502 section below
1002 Section L, Additional Project Specific Liquidated Damages (APSLD), see Form 2699 Guidance below
Engineer's Estimate – Bid Items, Quantities, Prices, and Force Accounts needed for each CSJ in a project
- Review and ensure bid items and quantities match between the plan set and TxDOT Connect
- TxDOTCONNECT Training Docs - Page includes "TXDOTCONNECT Reference Guide - Engineer's Estimate" and "Adding Bid Items to the Engineer's Estimate Job Aid
- Construction Cost Estimating Guide
Estimate Quantity Summary Bulk Upload spreadsheet - for bulk upload of bid items to TxDOT Connect - TxDOT Intranet Only
Item 700 bid items - Memo for what is considered federal non-participating
List of common Pedestrian/Bicycle Bid Items (must show Category "Pedestrian" in Estimate and fill in Pedestrian/Bicycles section of the Project Details screen in TxDOT Connect)
Consider waiving bidder pre-qualification for projects with a construction estimate of $300,000 or less (per TAC Title 43, Part 1, Chapter 9, Subchapter B, §Rule 9.12)
Speclist – Governing Specifications and Special Provisions
Review and ensure all required special provisions are included in the speclist prior to 100% PS&E Submittal.
TXDOTCONNECT Reference Guide - Engineer's Estimate - includes instructions for editing a speclist
TxDOTCONNECT Job Aid for Managing Specifications Requests - Job Aids-Engineer's Estimate-Managing Specification Requests - TxDOT Intranet Only
SP 000-025 Americans with Disabilities Act Curb Ramp Workshop - recommended for projects with significant pedestrian elements
SP 002-012 Guidance - for projects with the State's Contractor performing railroad track construction
Each district is responsible for maintaining a Master General Notes file. The following are requirements for General Notes for all construction contracts:
Remember to copy the 8.5x11 General Notes PDF file into the correct directory in Miramo
\\txdot4avbpsetc\miramo\LIBRARY\NOTES\ (paste link into Windows Explorer)
Converting 8.5x11 General Notes for proposal to 11x17 General Notes for plan set
This method ensures the general notes in the proposal and plan set will always match.
General Notes checklist from the PS&E Preparation Manual
General section: Call out modified standard plan sheets at the beginning of the General Notes
General section: Add district contact info for contractor questions - name, email, phone - as well as a link to the Pre-Letting FTP website https://ftp.dot.state.tx.us/pub/txdot-info/Pre-Letting%20Responses/ for posting contractor Q&A and other relevant project documents, including Cross Sections
Traffic Generator Events, Item 7: Senate Bill 312 Traffic Generator Event Requirements - TxDOT Intranet Only
*Also requires SP 007-010 - Projects within the City of Grapevine require SP 007-009
Safety Contingency, Item 502: Note from PS&E Preparation Manual, also requires Safety Contingency Force Account in Engineer's Estimate
Erosion Control, Item 506: Policy from PS&E Preparation Manual
When there is no SW3P in the plans, Example General Notes for Item 506
Project-specific general notes, to be included as-needed:
Mandatory Pre-Bid Meeting Request SOP, requests for mandatory pre-bid meetings for bidders requires approval from the Design Division Director.
Concrete Bridge Elements, Item 5: General Note for Item 5 to be included when pre-cast bridge element bid items are included under items 420, 422, or 425
- Mitigation of Hazardous Materials (lead, asbestos), Item 6: Policy Memo, April 2018
- Sample Request Memo to ADM
- General Notes for Item 6 Example
- Also requires SP 006-013
- See SS 5026 Asbestos Abatement - one-time use example
- See SS 5115 Lead Paint Abatement - one time use example
- Requests to include mitigation of hazardous materials in a state-let construction contract requires approval routed through the DES Project Development Support Section.
- SP 006-012: if the state has a separate contract for removing hazardous materials prior to or during a related construction project, include SP 006-012 instead of 006-013, and the above approval process is not needed. The approval is only needed if the construction contractor is responsible for removing hazardous materials.
Delay Start Provisions, Item 8: For projects including a delay-start special provision to Item 8, identify the length of the delay start and the reason for the delay start.
A+B Bidding Projects, Item 2 & Item 8: A+B Bidding Guidance *Also requires SP 008-006
- A+B Powerpoint Presentation - to be used during pre-bid meetings, or can be posted to the pre-letting FTP website
Milestones, Item 8: Example of General Notes for Milestones, also includes delay-start example, APSLD example, and Lane Closure Assessment Fees example
Lane Closure Assessment Fees, Item 8: Include Lane Closure table, and add SP 008-045
Truck-Mounted Attenuators (TMA), Item 6185: General Notes for Item 6185 Memo, January 2018
Engineer's PE/Registered Landscape Architect Seal – Required seal for the estimate, speclist, and general notes
The PDF file for the Engineer's PE/Registered Lanscape Architect Seal is no longer a required submittal document, except for projects with more than one PE/RLA Seal
All projects must still be sealed in TxDOT Connect
TxDOTCONNECT Reference Guide - Engineer's Estimate - includes how to seal CSJ's
For projects requiring multiple PE/RLA seals:
PDF template that can be digitally signed with image of seal and signature
Seal can also be generated via TxDOTCONNECT > Reporting screen > "Engineer's Seal Report"
Projects with multiple PE's/RLA's will require a Seal page for each PE/RLA
Certifications for Utilities, Right-of-Way (ROW), and Railroads – to document status of any conflicts that will exist within the project limits after letting. Must be signed by the district engineer or a delegate. A Triple-Zero - 000 - Special Provision is required for all conflicts that will not clear prior to proposal release and advertising. TxDOTCONNECT Job Aid for Managing Specifications Requests - includes 000 spec requests - TxDOT Intranet Only
NEW one-page template for "all clear" certifications
NEW Unclear Utilities for CMP template, for projects requiring a construction management plan
NEW Unclear ROW for CMP template, for projects requiring a construction management plan
- NEW Unclear Railroad Agreement / Maintenance Notification template
- Railroad Scope of Work sheet and standards, to be included in the plan set for projects requiring railroad coordination
- 1002 page 1 should match the certifications
- For purposes of filling out the Railroad information on 1002 page 1 & 2, maintenance notifications count as "agreements" and should be documented on the 1002 the same as formal railroad agreements.
Contract Time Determination Schedule – a logical critical-path method schedule including all construction activities in the project.
Add a note in or near the footer of the first page indicating the construction start and finish dates
Must be signed and dated but does not have to be sealed
Bid Item 502 for the number of months of barricades should match what is shown in the schedule
Form 2229: Significant Project Procedures, link to eForms website - search for “2229.” DES provides a copy of Form 2229 to FHWA - TxDOT Intranet Only
Form 2699: Determination of Additional Project-Specific Liquidated Damages
Form required for all projects except those with 2R or PM design criteria
If APSLD's are needed for a project, the RUC dollar amount for disincentive should be added under Item 8 of the General Notes. No other special provision aside from SP 000-658 is needed for disincentives.
If you opt to include an RUC incentive for early project completion, please add SP 008-006.
Form 2502: Value Engineering (VE) Study Executive Decision Summary, link to eForms website - use Internet Explorer - search for "2502" - TxDOT Intranet Only
Value Engineering studies are recommended for projects on the National Highway System (NHS) with an estimated total project cost - preliminary engineering, right-of-way, utilities, and construction - of $50 million or more, as well as $40 million or more for projects with bridge elements. DES provides a copy of Form 2502 to FHWA.
Signed and Approved VE Study Form 2502's should be sent to VE_STUDY@txdot.gov. Also email the completed and signed Form 1002.
Design Exceptions and Design Waivers – Design Exceptions and Waivers on Interstate Highway mainlanes are submitted to FHWA.
1002 Page 3, Design Exception Template - from DES-PDSS - TxDOT Intranet Only
Roadway Design Manual, Chapter 1, Section 2 - policy for design exceptions, waivers, variances
Please submit DE & DW documentation to DES-FPP, even if not on an interstate highway.