Right of Way Utility and Leasing Information System
Right of way
In an effort to continuously improve project delivery technology, the Right of Way Division is automating the utility and leasing process with the implementation of RULIS, the Right of Way Utility and Leasing Information System.
RULIS will include utility installation permits (replacing Utility Installation Review System - UIR), utility agreements, utility reimbursements, utility conflict management solutions, Subsurface Utility Engineering (SUE), as-built plans, saltwater leases, real property leases, sale of surplus property, and a mobile utility inspection application. This system will also interface with TxDOTCONNECT and Texas.gov for online lease payments.
RULIS will be delivered using a multi-release approach that allows TxDOT to segment and consolidate the functionality of legacy systems and processes piece-by-piece so that TxDOT can continue doing business with minimal disruption. RULIS is an outcome of the Modernize Portfolio and Project Management (MPPM) Initiative.
End users of RULIS, including external partners, will receive ongoing training and support throughout the transition to the new system.
System release schedule
May 1, 2023
- Utility permitting (replacing the Utility Installation Review System with collaboration from Maintenance Division)
- Automation of exception to policy process
- Automation of abandonment of utility facilities process
- Mobile applications for inspections
- Integrations with TxDOTCONNECT and OnBase
May 30, 2023
- Saltwater leases and real property leases
Future deployments 2023 – 2024
- Utility agreements
- Utility reimbursements
- Utility conflict management
- Subsurface utility engineering (SUE)
- As-built plans
- Sale of surplus property
- Single account for all districts and security roles
- Simultaneous SME review
- GIS mapping and data collection
- Enhanced security
- Standardized and streamlined solutions
- Full integration with TxDOTCONNECT and OnBase
- Accessible from multiple browsers, including Chrome and Edge
- Mobile application for inspections
- Online payments for leases