Promote destinations and events in TxDOT travel literature
Travel industry partners
Texas State Travel Guide: list my destination or attraction
Email us to get started.
How do you decide what listings go into the guide?
Not everyone who wants to be in the guide gets a listing; we must balance comprehensiveness of coverage with quality, meaning that we must have a certain level of comfort to drive tourists to that destination. Each listing is reviewed to ensure that it:
- Is a cultural, historical, or recreational destination.
- Is regularly accessible to the public.
- Appeals to a broad spectrum of tourists.
- Highlights the assets of the state of Texas, rather than simply being a community amenity that primarily serves a local community or its surrounding residents.
Some destinations may have additional requirements. For example, wineries and breweries must be more than a tasting room and offer something of additional interest to tourists, such as tours.
How do I update my current listing in the guide?
Please email updates to us.
We also offer the ability for you to make changes directly to your listing online – please contact us for detailed instructions.
When do I need to send my info for the next printed edition of the guide?
Destination updates are due in late May. Existing listings will receive an email reminder in April soliciting updates. If you miss a deadline, please notify us of changes, additions, and deletions as soon as possible.
How can I get my event listed in the Texas Highways Events Calendar?
Events should be of interest to travelers and open to the general public. For more on the types of events we list and other guidelines for the Texas Highways Events Calendar, please visit event submission guidelines.
To submit events for consideration, please visit our online submission form. Submitting events through this form with your contact information will give you confirmation when your event is received in our database and let you know when it’s approved for use in our listings. All listings are subject to review and editing to meet publication guidelines. We appreciate your patience while we work through the many fun and interesting submissions we receive—it may take several weeks.
What do I need to supply for my listing in the calendar?
All event listings sent to us MUST include:
- Name of the event.
- City in which it occurs (or nearest city).
- Exact date(s) of the event.
- Location/venue of the event (please include exact address if known).
- Phone number(s), website or email address the public can call for more information (must include at least one).
- A brief description of the event. This can either be a list of activities or a couple of sentences—we will format for publication.
When is the information due for the next printing of the Events Calendar?
So that we can give the most exposure possible to your events, please submit listings by the Texas Highways Events Calendar deadlines:
- Winter Events (Dec, Jan, Feb): Due by September 1
- Spring Events (Mar, Apr, May): Due by December 1
- Summer Events (Jun, Jul, Aug): Due by March 1
- Fall Events (Sep, Oct, Nov): Due by June 1
Events received by these deadlines are included in the Texas Highways Events Calendar and online listings, and are considered for Texas Highways magazine (which uses a partial selection of all events received). While we can't guarantee that events received after these deadlines will be listed, sometimes we can still get them into the magazine or online-- generally, the sooner we get your listings, the better the chance.
Please note that listings received less than a month before the event are unlikely to make it into our database.
Get a reminder to submit your event listings
If you'd like to be added to our e-mail list to receive a reminder of when event listings are due each quarter, go to submission guidelines and click on the link under the ‘Get a Deadline Reminder Email’ section.