Display my travel literature in the travel information centers
Travel industry partners
The Texas travel information centers serve over two million visitors annually. Travelers stopping at the centers have access to approximately five million pieces of travel literature each year, making the travel information centers the largest outlet of travel literature in Texas.
Your organization is encouraged to participate by distributing travel literature through the centers.
All collateral must be approved prior to distribution. Literature displayed and distributed by the centers should be 100% Texas travel and tourism oriented. They may contain prizes or contests so long as they are related to travel industry and should contain minimal advertising not associated with the subject matter. Additional guidelines are provided below.
To have materials added to those available at the centers, samples of first-time or newly produced brochures need to be sent to the Travel Services section headquarters for approval:
Travel literature display guidelines
The below guidelines are in accordance with Texas Administrative Code, Title 43, Part 1, Chapter 23, "Travel Information:"
Acceptable travel literature
- Must be approved prior to display
- Brochure must be 100% travel and tourism-oriented.
- Must be professional quality
- All literature must have a publication date.
Preferred display size
- Standard rack card/brochure (8.5” x 3.67”)
Alternate display size
- Larger qualifying brochures will be accepted on a space-available basis.
- Brochure dimensions may not exceed standard letter size (8.5” x 11”).
- Tabloid-sized brochures may be folded to meet size requirement.
Acceptable subject matter
- Scenic areas
- Historic sites
- The arts, including museums and performing arts theaters
- Fairs, festivals, or special events of public interest
- Shopping centers, malls, and shopping districts
- Accommodations, including B&Bs and guest ranches
- RV vehicle parks and campgrounds
- City, county, state, and national parks
- Travel maps or public transportation information
Unacceptable travel literature
- Brochures that are solely for the purpose of selling tangible items or memberships
- Brochures that contain more than 40% advertising
- Periodicals that are available by subscription or on newsstands, with the exception of back issues of Texas Highways, the state's official travel magazine
- Out-of-state travel-tourism features, locations, destinations, unless augmenting Texas travel or tourism, or unless on border locations with region-specific marketing ties to Texas. In this case, the out-of-state content may not exceed 50%.
- Risqué products and services (including lingerie) or advertisements for such
- Convention & Visitor Bureau membership directories
- Community profiles and resource guides
- City business directories
- Economic development materials
- Oversized material
- Newspapers (brochures printed on newsprint may be acceptable)
- Material that discriminates against any state or federally protected class of persons
- Other subjects not related to travel and tourism as determined by TxDOT
Display and distribution terms
- Travel literature will be displayed in a manner that the Travel Information Center Supervisor believes is the most efficient and informative for the visitor.
- Seasonal literature will be displayed in season.
- Literature will be rotated periodically to provide exposure for all accepted material.
- Outdated literature will be removed from display and will not be returned to organization.