Strategic Direction Report
Bicycle and Pedestrian Advisory Committee
TxDOT developed the Strategic Direction Report: Opportunities for TxDOT’s Bicycle and Pedestrian Program (SDR) in coordination with the Bicycle and Pedestrian Advisory Committee to identify short, mid, and longer-term actions that TxDOT can take to support bicyclists and pedestrians.
Strategies and actions are grouped into the following focus areas:
- Expand the bicycle and pedestrian networks.
- Build safer and better bicycle and pedestrian accommodations.
- Provide training for engineers, planners and construction staff.
- Educate and encourage the public on safe driving, riding, bicycling and walking.
- Develop statewide management systems for bicycle and pedestrian information.
- Fund more bicycle and pedestrian projects.
Since the original SDR in 2015, TxDOT has implemented a number of recommendations, including:
- Bicycle Tourism Trails Study
- Bicycle Safety Guide
- Handlebar hanger
- State of the practice in bicycle and pedestrian accommodation
- Active Transportation Plan Inventory
- Statewide Bicycle and Pedestrian Count Program and repository
- Invested $391 million of federal and state funds in bicycle and pedestrian projects across Texas since 2015. See TxDOT's Transportation Alternatives Program