International trade and border planning
International trade is big business in Texas.
The International Trade and Border Planning Branch strengthens the state of Texas' economic competitiveness in international trade through collaboration and coordination with local, regional, state, national, and binational stakeholders. The branch's efforts include, but are not limited to:
- Implementing binational planning, policy, and program strategies in coordination with the three TXDOT border districts: El Paso (ELP), Laredo (LRD), and Pharr (PHR).
- Developing regional and cross-border feasibility studies and reports on economic development, trade, and the movement of people and goods.
- The development/implementation of the Texas-Mexico Border Transportation Master Plan.
- Representing the agency on binational committees like the US-Mexico Joint Working Committee on Transportation Planning (JWC) and the US-Mexico Binational Bridges and Border Crossings Group (BBBXG).
- Coordination of the Border Trade Advisory Committee (BTAC), a legislatively mandated committee that serves as a forum for agency transportation decisions affecting trade and the movement of freight at the Texas border.
International trade and border facts
- Texas tops all U.S. states in exports for 19th consecutive year, shipping $279.3 billion worth of goods around the globe.
- Texas has 28 border crossings, more than any other U.S. state.
- In 2019, the Texas-Mexico border accounts for nearly 68% percent (or $451 billion) of all international trade commerce in the U.S.
- Mexico is Texas’ largest trading partner and plays a vital role in the state of Texas and global economies.
- Texas has more airports, miles of public roadways, state highways, freight railways, border crossings, and foreign-trade zones (FTZ) than any other state in the nation.
- Texas-Mexico border communities create jobs and enhances the quality of life for all in the region.
- Small businesses account for nearly 93% of Texas exporters.
Texas international trade and border resources
Border, trade, economic development studies, interactive dashboards, and reports
Border District Trade Report Dashboard - Navigate and locate trade projects in the three border districts.