Quarry and Pit Program
Aggregate Quarry and Pit Safety Program
The Texas Aggregate Quarry and Pit Safety Act (Act) is designed to protect the safety of the motoring public from the potential dangers of open quarries and pits.
Under the act, owners and operators of active, inactive and abandoned aggregate quarries and pits must:
- Notify TxDOT of all quarries or pits located on their property. The notification should include:
- Name, address and phone number of property owner or operator.
- Address or location of property containing quarry or pit.
- Apply for and obtain a safety certificate pursuant to Texas Natural Resources Code Section 133.045 and Texas Administrative Code Section 21.711.
- Erect an approved safety barrier or slope or backfill the quarry/pit to ensure the safety of the traveling public. Pursuant to Texas Natural Resources Code Section 133.041 and Texas Administration Code Section 21.706.
Quarry or pit owners who fail to comply with the act may be fined as much as $10,000 for each violation.
Refer to the Texas Aggregate Quarry/Pit Program Fact Sheet for help with answers to frequently asked questions, current department specifications, and standards for berm barriers.
The following provides additional information:
- Texas Aggregate Quarry/Pit Program Fact Sheet
- Aggregate Quarry and Pit Safety Act
- Quarry and Pit Safety Regulations
- Quarry and Pit Safety Quick Reference
- Required Information to Operate
For more information, please contact us at (512) 465-2173 or MNT_Pits-Quarries@txdot.gov.
Completed hardcopy forms with fee must be sent to:
Texas Department of Transportation Maintenance Division
Attn: Pits & Quarries Safety Program
6230 E. Stassney Lane
Austin, TX 78744
For us to respond to your inquiry, you must include the following in the body of your email:
- Your Name
- Company Name (if applicable)
- Email Address
- Phone Number
Send digital copies of forms to: MNT_Pits-Quarries@txdot.gov.
Quarry and Pit Safety Forms