General design guidelines
Preliminary engineering and design
The preliminary engineering and design phase of construction and non-construction projects includes development of design guidelines with requirements specified by state and federal statutes. The phase also includes the development of design layouts for non-construction projects and design schematics for roadway projects depicting proposed geometrics.
Design concept conference
A design concept conference is a meeting of key individuals to establish fundamental aspects of a project. The conference facilitates agreement to basic project features and enhances relationships between concerned parties. The local government should submit a listing of the design guidelines for construction and non-construction projects.
Preliminary design must include identification of environmental issues and commitments. Commitments are often included in the following project environmental documents:
- Categorical exclusion (CE).
- Environmental assessment (EA).
- Environmental impact statement (EIS).
Additional topics that should be considered during the preliminary design phase are:
- Coordination with the Federal Aviation Administration.
- Compliance with accessibility standards.
- Preparation of design surveys.
- Landscape development.
- Storm water management.
- Forms and publications
- Use the side navigation to access additional pages in the toolkit.