Houston Planning and Environmental Linkage (PEL) Studies
The TxDOT Houston District is conducting several Planning and Environmental Linkage studies in the region.
PEL study locations
Click on the following PEL studies to learn more:
- Gulf Freeway (I-45 South) PEL: From US 59 / I-69 to Beltway 8 South in Harris County
- I-10 East PEL: From I-69/US 59 to SH 99 (Grand Parkway) in Harris and Chambers Counties
- I-45 PEL: From Beltway (BW) 8 to Loop 336 South in Harris and Montgomery Counties
- I-69 PEL: From Spur 527 to BW 8 in Harris County
- SH 225 and I-610 East PEL: SH 225 from I-610 to SH 146 and I-610 East from Broadway Street to Clinton Drive in Harris County
What is a PEL study?
A PEL study is a high-level, early-planning study process that represents an approach to transportation decision making that considers environmental, community and economic goals early in the planning stage and carries them through project development, design and construction. The goal of PEL studies is to gather feedback during planning to inform the environmental review process, including the National Environmental Policy Act.
Purpose of a PEL study:
- Identifies transportation issues
- Develops the need and purpose for proposed improvements
- Initiates coordination with oversight agencies, stakeholders and members of the public
- Streamlines the overall project development process and minimizes duplication
- Describes the socio-economic conditions
- Promotes efficient and cost-effective solutions and environmental stewardship
- Reduces delays in delivering projects
Why is TxDOT preparing PEL studies?
Conducting a PEL study helps inform planning decisions and streamlines the project delivery process, and can serve as a way for the public to discuss and prioritize transportation issues and project delivery.
Benefits of a PEL study:
- Develops a purpose and need statement
- Engages stakeholders
- Builds collaborative relationships with resource agencies
- Identifies environmental constraints and issues
- Develops potential solutions and alternatives
- Identifies potential projects for future consideration