Planning and Environmental Linkage Study: I-69 from Spur 527 to Beltway (BW) 8
The TxDOT Houston District is conducting a Planning and Environmental Linkage Study (PEL) on I-69 from Spur 527 to Beltway 8 in Harris County. The study would include the city areas of Houston, Bellaire and West University Place.
Interactive Project Location Map
Use the + or - buttons to zoom in on the map as needed; click on the project limit line for more information.
PEL Study Purpose and Benefits
The I-69 PEL study is a high-level, early-planning study process that represents an approach to transportation decision making that considers environmental, community and economic goals early in the planning stage and carries them through project development, design and construction. The goal of a PEL study is to gather feedback during planning to inform the environmental review process, including the National Environmental Policy Act. More information about the purpose and benefits of this kind of study, as well as the I-45 PEL and I-10 PEL studies, can be found on the Houston Planning and Environmental Linkage Studies page.
At a high level, a PEL study:
- Identifies transportation issues
- Develops the need and purpose for proposed improvements
- Helps inform planning decisions through public feedback
- Streamlines the project delivery process for NEPA
- Identifies environmental constraints, issues and potential future projects
PEL Timeline and Process
Following is a high-level timeline; ongoing agency and stakeholder involvement occurs throughout the entire PEL process.
Phase I: Winter 2017 - Summer 2018
- Conduct data collection
- Analyze existing conditions
- Determine corridor needs and concerns
- Identify vision for the corridor with community input
Phase II: Fall 2018 - Summer 2020
- Develop and screen conceptual ideas and alternatives that support the corridor vision
- Consider viable alternatives
- Present PEL findings
After the PEL study process, the NEPA process will then be initiated and additional public involvement will be required and planned.
- I-69 PEL Study Fact Sheet
- Dec. 5, 2017 - Project Ambassadors Meeting Presentation
- Dec. 12, 2017 - Stakeholder Meeting Presentation
- Public Meeting Summary Report
Please reference the following project number:
I-69 PEL: 0027-13-218
TxDOT Houston District