US 281 from US 290 to the Comal County Line
TxDOT is developing preliminary plans to improve 19 miles of US 281 from US 290 to the Comal County line in Blanco County, Texas, including the US 281/US 290 interchange. This study excludes any improvements to the existing four-lane segment of US 281 through the city of Blanco and excludes the study of a relief route around the city of Blanco, which is being studied as part of a separate project. The purpose of the proposed project is to enhance safety, improve connectivity and improve mobility by providing additional roadway capacity to meet current and future traffic demands due to population growth and increased traffic volumes. Throughout the project limits, the existing roadway is two-lanes with Super-2 passing lanes. Current study limits contain the last section of two-lane US 281 roadway within the Austin District. The preliminary plans would expand the roadway to a four-lane divided highway similar to the adjacent section of US 281 to the south. This is consistent with TxDOT’s statewide plan to upgrade rural highways to four-lane divided roadways as part of the Texas Trunk System and consistent with the recommendations from a previously conducted statewide US 281 feasibility study.
- Widening the roadway to create a four-lane divided roadway within a typical right of way of 450 feet. The four-lane roadway will include two lanes in each direction and shoulders.
- Separating travel lanes by adding a grassy median to improve safety and provide a transportation corridor to accommodate future improvements.
- Adding median crossovers with acceleration and deceleration lanes at regular intervals.
- Adding right-turn lanes at various intersections.
- Designing roadway transitions north and south of the city of Blanco to tie into existing four-lane sections.
- Upgrading the US 281/US 290 interchange.
The purpose of public involvement is to share project information and updates, present proposed schematics of the project and collect input from the community. Public input is a highly valued and an important part of creating improvements to address transportation needs. TxDOT is committed to working closely with the community on all projects to ensure that interested community members have the opportunity to comment, voice concerns, and ask questions.
An initial open house is scheduled for Thursday, September 29, 2022 to introduce the project to the local community. Public involvement opportunities will be provided throughout the project development process.
Related studies - Blanco Relief Route
In conjunction with this study, the Austin District has also initiated a US 281 Feasibility Study to explore and evaluate a relief route around the city of Blanco to alleviate congestion within the city of Blanco and its downtown square district. The relief route study is not included in this US 281 Blanco County project.