In the urban areas of Texas, concentrations of emissions from automotive exhaust pose a potential threat to human health. Ways to improve air quality include:
- Use public transportation / carpools
- Use alternative fuels in the TxDOT fleet
- Create High Occupancy Vehicle (HOV) lanes
- Add capacity to highways to reduce idling
- Improve railroad crossings to prevent vehicle stopping
The Drive Clean Texas campaign is a statewide initiative that makes Texas drivers aware of the seriousness of air pollution, educates them about reducing emissions and encourages changes in driving habits.