Utility accommodation for transportation projects
Skip to main content

Utility accommodation for transportation projects

Utilities located in a road or highway right of way may need to be relocated to allow for construction. The local government is usually responsible for utility relocations; however, TxDOT may assume responsibility, particularly for projects on the state highway system.

Responsible party

Terms in the Advance Funding Agreement (AFA) define either the local government or TxDOT as the party responsible for utility relocation. The local government must map and notify TxDOT of all utilities on the project if stated in the AFA. The local government and utility owner may contract portions of the design or construction, or may joint bid the highway and utility construction.

Extension of utilities

When it is necessary to extend utility service to projects such as a new building or rest area, the party that is constructing the project usually provides for extension of utilities.

More information