BU 59T Median Project (Rio Grande Street/Houston Highway)
TxDOT's Yoakum District, in partnership with the Victoria Metropolitan Planning Organization, is proposing improvements to BU 59T locally known as Rio Grande Street and Houston Highway. The project limits on BU 59T are from Navarro Street to Loop 463 in Victoria, Texas.
The proposed project scope includes
- The proposed project would construct approximately 20,209 feet (3.8 miles) of median barrier along BU 59T (Rio Grande Street/Houston Highway)
- The median barrier would vary in width from approximately two feet to 14 feet
- The barrier would be approximately 7.75 inches in height
- Left turn lanes would be constructed in the median at various locations to allow turning movements
- Sidewalks would be added at various locations throughout the project
- Illumination would be added at various locations to increase nighttime visibility
Proposed project purpose and need
What are we trying to do?
- Improve safety
- Reduce crashes and fatalities
- Control turning movements to reduce crashes
- Increase mobility and decrease congestion
- Make travel safer for pedestrians
What problems are we trying to address?
- Numerous crashes and fatal incidents
- Left-turn lane with uncontrolled turning movements
- Traffic congestion
- High volume of pedestrian traffic
Your input is a key part of the project development process. As information on public involvement opportunities are available, they will be provided below.
- Virtual Stakeholder Meeting
- A virtual stakeholder meeting was held on Wednesday, Nov. 18, 2020, at 3 p.m. to discuss proposed improvements, identify stakeholder issues, discuss future plans and gather input. The meeting began with a presentation of the proposed improvements and continued with a question and answer session. A virtual public meeting will be held on Dec. 10, 2020, for additional public input opportunities. To have comments part of the formal meeting summary please postmark or submit by Dec. 28, 2020.
- Stakeholder Comment Card
- Virtual Public Meeting - Dec. 10, 2020