US 82 The Gap Improvement Project - Wichita Falls
TxDOT is evaluating the four-lane undivided section of US 82 from the Archer County line to FM 369 in Wichita County. Planned improvements include updating the roadway to current design standards and providing a safer roadway for the traveling public.
The approximately 4-mile project extending from the Archer County line to FM 369 includes:
- Widening the roadway to a five-lane configuration
- Two-12 foot travel lanes in each direction
- 16-foot continuous left center turn lane
- 10-foot shoulders in both directions
- Realignment of Old State Road
- Realignment of FM 369 Off-Ramp
- New right of way
Due to accidents in the area, citizen concerns with the 60-mph posted speed limit at the time, and numerous intersecting driveways, TxDOT began looking at ways to improve this stretch of roadway. Some citizens would like to widen the existing road; others prefer a four-lane divided roadway on a new alignment away from the existing road; however, after public involvement activities and receiving input from local citizens, TxDOT has decided to widen the existing roadway. TxDOT worked with engineering consultant Kimley-Horn to develop a schematic to widen the existing roadway.
Stakeholder meetings were held in the Summer and Fall of 2016 followed by public meetings on Feb. 9, 2017, and Sept 22, 2020. The schematic was approved in the Fall of 2021. The project was environmentally cleared in the Fall of 2022. Right-of-Way surveys are complete and right-of-way acquisition is currently underway. Utility relocations will take place after right-of-way acquisition has made sufficient progress. The construction phase for this project is anticipated to be ready to let in 2026, subject to funding availability.
- Comment on the Project
- September 2020 - Virtual Public Meeting
- February 2017 Public Meeting Summary Report
- September 2020 Public Hearing Summary Report
- Typical Sections
- Schematic 1: US 82 from Archer/Wichita County line to Old State Road
- Schematic 2: US 82 from Old State Road to Call Field Canal
- Schematic 3: US 82 from Call Field Canal to FM 369 Southwest Parkway
The environmental review, consultation, and other actions required by applicable Federal environmental laws for this project are being, or have been, carried-out by TxDOT pursuant to 23 U.S.C. 327 and a Memorandum of Understanding dated Dec. 9, 2019, and executed by FHWA and TxDOT.
Updated: May 5, 2023