US 83 Regional Corridor Study (from I-2 to US 59/State Loop 20 Junction)
TxDOT is conducting the US 83 Regional Corridor Study from Interstate 2 west of Palmview in Hidalgo County to the US 59/State Loop 20 junction in Webb County, approximately 130 miles. The purpose of the study is to enhance mobility, safety and connectivity between Laredo and Rio Grande Valley. The study will also include assessing the feasibility of upgrading this corridor to interstate standards.
- Interest in studying this corridor came about during the planning process for the Texas-Mexico Border Transportation Master Plan, which was completed in spring 2021. The US 83 Regional Corridor Study will:
- Assess existing and future operational conditions, including traffic, freight movement, safety, hurricane evacuation and roadway geometry
- Identify potential transportation improvements and develop an implementation strategy of recommended short-, mid-, and long-term projects
- Evaluate the feasibility of upgrading the corridor to interstate standards
- Engage stakeholders and the public for their insights and feedback throughout the study
- Study began April 2022
- Data collection and analyses Spring 2022-Fall 2022
- Public information survey Summer 2022
- Identify potential transportation improvements Fall 2022-Winter 2023
- Public meeting to present study findings and recommendations Spring 2023
- Prepare study report Spring 2023-Summer 2023
- Study concludes August 2023
- Public engagement is an important element of this study. TxDOT encourages the public to be informed and engaged. TxDOT will host a public meeting later in the study process to present the recommendations under consideration and to provide an opportunity for the public to provide comments.