US 83 Regional Corridor Study (from I-2 to US 59/State Loop 20 Junction)
TxDOT is conducting the US 83 Regional Corridor Study from Interstate 2 west of Palmview in Hidalgo County to the US 59/State Loop 20 junction in Webb County, approximately 130 miles. The purpose of the study is to enhance mobility, safety and connectivity between Laredo and Rio Grande Valley. The study will also include assessing the feasibility of upgrading this corridor to interstate standards.
- Interest in studying this corridor came about during the planning process for the Texas-Mexico Border Transportation Master Plan, which was completed in spring 2021. The US 83 Regional Corridor Study will:
- Assess existing and future operational conditions, including traffic, freight movement, safety, hurricane evacuation and roadway geometry
- Identify potential transportation improvements and develop an implementation strategy of recommended short-, mid-, and long-term projects
- Evaluate the feasibility of upgrading the corridor to interstate standards
- Engage stakeholders and the public for their insights and feedback throughout the study
- Study began - April 2022
- Data collection and analyses Spring 2022 - Fall 2022
- Public information survey - Summer 2022
- Identify potential transportation improvements - Fall 2022-Winter 2023
- Prepare study report Spring 2023 - Summer 2023
- Publish Corridor Development Plan and Informational Video - August 2023
- Study concludes - August 2023
- Public engagement is an important element of this study. TxDOT encourages the public to be informed and engaged.
- TxDOT hosted a public information survey in July and August 2022 to inform the public about the study and provide the public an opportunity to provide feedback.
- In August 2023, TxDOT produced an informational video in English and Spanish summarizing the study and the recommended improvements along the US 83 study corridor. The videos are located at the top of this project page along with a Corridor Development Plan.