NW Military improvement and FM 1535 expansion projects
The Texas Department of Transportation, in coordination with the City of Shavano Park and the Alamo Area Metropolitan Planning Organization (MPO), is moving forward with two transportation improvement projects designed to increase mobility, enhance safety and reduce congestion on FM 1535 (N.W. Military Highway).
The two projects include the FM 1535 Expansion project and the N.W. Military Highway Improvement project.
FM 1535 expansion project
In May 2020, TxDOT began construction on FM 1535 from Loop 1604 to Shavano Ranch Rd. This project includes the following planned improvements:
- Expanding from 2 to 4 lanes with a center turn lane and raised median.
- Adding sidewalks and bicycle accommodations.
The FM 1535 Expansion project has an estimated cost of $7.5 million and is on schedule to be completed by Fall 2021.
NW Military Hwy improvement project
In July 2021, TxDOT began construction on the N.W. Military Highway improvement project from Huebner Road to Loop 1604. This project includes the following planned improvements:
- Construction of a continuous center-turn lane.
- Sidewalk and bicycle accommodations.
- Installation of a traffic signal at the Pond Hill Road intersection.
- Construction of a raised median between Loop 1604 and Wagon Trail Road.
- Drainage improvements.
The N.W. Military Highway Improvement project has an estimated cost of $15.5 million and is scheduled to be completed in 2024.
Throughout construction, drivers will experience temporary traffic shifts and daytime lane closures, with at least one lane open, in each direction.
Work is anticipated to take place on weekdays, generally from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Saturday. Occasional weekend closures for major construction operations may take place.
Traffic and construction updates
The latest information on lane closures, traffic shifts, and overall progress of the projects under construction is provided through:
- The City of Shavano Park website and Roadrunner newsletter.
- The San Antonio District’s Go Ahead! blog, Twitter feed, and Facebook page
- Permanent and temporary digital message signs stationed along the project corridor alerting drivers in real-time of lane closures, traffic congestion, and construction activities
TxDOT strives to communicate with the public proactively and effectively throughout the project development phase before the start of construction. This includes providing information and gathering feedback on mobility and safety issues that could impact the public by making transportation improvements.
Pre-construction public involvement activities on the FM 1535 corridor included:
- July 16, 2019 - Public Hearing - NW Military Hwy. (FM 1535) Improvement Project
- Dec. 12, 2018 - Open House - NW Military Hwy. (FM 1535) Improvement Project
- April 26, 2018 - Open House - FM 1535 Expansion Project