US 77 Proposed Improvement Project - Woodsboro - Refugio
The Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT) Corpus Christi District, in coordination with Refugio County, is moving forward with the project development process for the US Highway (US) 77 improvements in the Woodsboro and Refugio area. Please refer to the Project Development Process detailed below. The US 77 proposed improvement project will follow the recommendations of the 2018 US 77 Woodsboro/Refugio Route Study, which included:
- Upgrading existing US 77 to interstate standards along the existing route near the City of Woodsboro, and;
- Developing a new US 77 roadway to interstate standards located within a new corridor east of the City of Refugio.
Preliminary design and environmental studies are the next steps in the process. The purpose of these activities is to develop and evaluate roadway alignment options within this corridor, take into consideration public input, and determine the potential impacts the proposed project will have on the environment and community. The goal of the project is to improve safety for local and through traffic; improve mobility, access, and connectivity; and support economic opportunity. Additionally, the development of the corridor meets the future goal of designating this section of US 77 as part of the Interstate 69 (I-69) highway system.
Project development process
- Route Study (Completed)
- A route study assesses the feasibility of developing a new or improved roadway by analyzing the environmental, community, and engineering constraints. This analysis recommends a route for further study.
- Environmental Study (2-3 Years)
- This step involves developing detailed roadway alignment alternatives and conducting a detailed study evaluating each alternative’s potential impacts on both the human and natural environment.
- Right-of-Way Acquisition, Utility Relocations, and Final Design (2-3 Years)
- During this phase, land within the final project footprint is purchased, utilities are relocated, and the detailed roadway design is finalized.
- Construction (3-4 Years)
- In the final phase, the build contract is awarded and the roadway is constructed. Once the project is constructed, the facility will meet interstate standards.