US 77 Odem area planning study
In summer of 2023, TxDOT completed the US 77 Odem Area Planning Study from Interstate 37 (I-37) to Farm-to-Market Road 1945 near Sinton in San Patricio county, a length of approximately 10 miles.
This study is part of initial planning efforts to extend Interstate 69 East (I-69E) from Corpus Christi northward. This section of US 77 is identified in Sections 1105(c) and 1105(e)(5) of the Intermodal Surface Transportation Efficiency Act, as amended, as High Priority Corridor 18 to be designated as I-69E upon meeting interstate standards and connecting to the existing interstate system.
The US 77 Planning Study:
- Established the purpose and need for extending I-69E
- Characterized the environmental setting
- Assessed existing and future conditions for upgrading the existing US 77 to interstate standards
- Developed alternatives near the city of Odem to advanced the further detailed schematic design and environmental study
- Considered how best to minimize impacts on environmental resources and how route options could affect the economic viability in the study area
- Engaged stakeholders and the public throughout the project development process
Currently, this section of US 77 is a 4-lane divided highway that does not meet interstate highway standards. This highway section provides an important link to Interstates 37 and US 77 (future I-69E) in the Corpus Christi metropolitan area. Traffic (particularly freight) in this area has increased in recent years and is anticipated to increase in the future.
Through the study process, TxDOT identified and proposed improvements for the corridor that will:
- Provide a continuous access-controlled facility that would be designated as I-69E when it meets interstate design standards
- Improve safety for local and through traffic
- Improve mobility and connectivity
Public engagement was an important element of this study. TxDOT hosted public meetings at key milestones throughout the study and shared information and received input from the public that will help inform decision-making.
- Virtual Open House with In-Person Option - Thursday, April 28, 2022
- Open House - Wednesday, Nov. 9, 2022
- Open House - Thursday, April 13, 2023
- Study Area Map
- Fact Sheet
- Project Delivery Brochure
- US 77 Odem Area Final Study Report - September 2023