US 77 Odem area planning study
TxDOT is conducting the US 77 Odem Area Planning Study from Interstate 37 (I-37) to Farm-to-Market Road 1945 near Sinton in San Patricio county, a length of approximately 10 miles.
This study is part of initial planning efforts to extend Interstate 69 East (I-69E) from Corpus Christi northward. This section of US 77 is identified in Sections 1105(c) and 1105(e)(5) of the Intermodal Surface Transportation Efficiency Act, as amended, as High Priority Corridor 18 to be designated as I-69E upon meeting interstate standards and connecting to the existing interstate system.
The US 77 Planning Study will:
- Establish the purpose and need for extending I-69E
- Characterize the environmental setting
- Assess existing and future conditions
- Upgrading the existing US 77 to interstate standards
- Develop alternatives near the city of Odem to advanced the further detailed schematic design and environmental study
- Consider how best to minimize impacts on environmental resources and how route options could affect the economic viability in the study area
- Engage stakeholders and the public throughout the project development process
Currently, this section of US 77 is a 4-lane divided highway that does not meet interstate highway standards. This highway section provides an important link to Interstates 37 and US 77 (future I-69E) in the Corpus Christi metropolitan area. Traffic (particularly freight) in this area has increased in recent years and is anticipated to increase in the future.
Through the study process, TxDOT will identify and propose improvements for the corridor that will:
- Provide a continuous access-controlled facility that would be designated as I-69E when it meets interstate design standards
- Improve safety for local and through traffic
- Improve mobility and connectivity
Your input is a key part of project development. Public involvement opportunities will be provided throughout this process.
- Stakeholder Working Group Study Results Briefing – March 28, 2023
- Open House No. 3 – April 13, 2023
- Study Completed– anticipated in Summer 2023
Public engagement is an important element of this study. TxDOT encourages the public to be informed and engaged throughout the study process. TxDOT will host public meetings at key milestones in the study to share information and to receive input from the public that will help inform decision-making.
When meetings are announced, they will be added to this page.
- Virtual Open House with In-Person Option - Thursday, April 28, 2022
- Open House - Wednesday, Nov. 9, 2022
- Open House - Thursday, April 13, 2023
- Study Area Map
- Fact Sheet
- Fact Sheet (Español)
- Open House Flyer
- Open House Flyer (Español)
- Project Delivery Brochure
- Project Delivery Brochure (Español)
- Public Meeting Summary Report - Thursday, April 28, 2022
- Open House Summary Report - Wednesday, Nov. 9, 2022
- Open House Summary Report - Thursday, April 13, 2023