The Permian Basin, located in West Texas and southeastern New Mexico, covers approximately 75,000 square miles with more than 7,000 oil/gas fields and is the second largest oil and gas producer in the world. The energy boom is leading to increased demand for transportation infrastructure needs and economic opportunities.
During the development of the 2018 Texas Freight Mobility Plan (TFMP), numerous transportation issues related to the energy sector were documented, leading to the recommendation of a Permian Basin Regional Freight Plan covering 22 Texas counties (Andrews, Borden, Crane, Crockett, Culberson, Dawson, Ector, Gaines, Glasscock, Howard, Irion, Loving, Martin, Midland, Pecos, Reagan, Reeves, Scurry, Upton, Ward, Winkler, Yoakum) and two New Mexico counties (Lea and Eddy).
Purpose, Goals and Objectives
Why develop a Regional Freight Plan for the Permian Basin Region?
- Identify freight activities, opportunities, challenges and strategies in the region.
- Integrate multimodal regional and statewide energy sector transportation considerations into the local and regional transportation planning, programming, and implementation processes.
- Identify the region’s energy sector-related transportation needs and opportunities impacting the Texas Multi¬modal Freight Network and statewide economic competitiveness.
- Identify and assess the regional freight network, including locally significant energy sector corridors and first/last mile connections.
- Examine the link between local land use and energy sector-related transportation demand and operations.
- Enhance the regional energy sector movement forecasting to account for the increased production and economic growth.
- Develop recommendations to enhance energy sector mobility and safety on the region’s transportation network.
- Document the importance of regional energy sector freight movements to the local, regional, statewide, and national economies.
- Supplement state freight data with local data collection specific to energy sector and construction activity.
- Support identification of energy sector transportation projects for inclusion in the districts, MPOs and local transportation improvement programs.
Public and private sector stakeholder input will be a critical component of the Regional Freight Plan, starting with data collection and continuing through the development of recommendations and strategies to improve freight mobility. The stakeholder engagement process will include:
- Public and private sector stakeholders.
- Stakeholder meetings and two rounds of regional listening sessions.
- Individual and group stakeholder interviews.
- Focus groups.
- Permian Basin Freight and Energy Sector Transportation Plan (October 2020)
- Transportation Plan - Executive Summary (October 2020)
- Permian Basin Freight Plan Info Sheet
- Regional Economic Analysis
- Commodity Flow Assessment Technical Memorandum
- Land Use and Freight Technical Memorandum
- Agenda - Stakeholder Kickoff Meeting (May 31, 2019)
- Presentation - Stakeholder Kickoff Meeting (May 31, 2019)
- Presentation – Stakeholder Outreach Forum (July 29, 2019): Energy Sector Companies
- Presentation – Stakeholder Outreach Forum (July 30, 2019): Sand Mines/Haulers
- Presentation – Stakeholder Outreach Forum (July 31, 2019): Commercial Carriers/Railroads
- Presentation – Stakeholder Outreach Forum (July 31, 2019): Urban Communities
- Presentation – Stakeholder Outreach Forum (Aug. 1, 2019): Rural Communities
- Presentation – Stakeholder Outreach Forum (Sept. 18, 2019): State Agencies (DOT, DMV, DPS)
- Agenda - Steering Committee Meeting (Sept. 19, 2019)
- Presentation - Steering Committee Meeting (Sept. 19, 2019)
- Agenda - Steering Committee Webinar (Feb. 21, 2020)
- Presentation - Steering Committee Webinar (Feb. 21, 2020)
- Agenda - Steering Committee Meeting (April 8, 2020)
- Presentation - Steering Committee Meeting (April 8, 2020)
- Agenda – Steering Committee Virtual Meeting (June 26, 2020)
- Presentation – Steering Committee Virtual Meeting (June 26, 2020)
- Presentation – Stakeholder Outreach Virtual Meetings (June 22-25, 2020)
- Agenda - Steering Committee Virtual Meeting (Aug. 13, 2020)
- Presentation - Steering Commitee Virtual Meeting (Aug. 13, 2020)
TxDOT Odessa District
3901 East Highway 80
Odessa, TX 79761