US 77 from FM 2440 to SH 21
The Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT) is developing preliminary plans to improve US 77 from FM 2440 (in Giddings) to SH 21. Along the project limits, the existing roadway is a four-lane, undivided highway. The preliminary plans would construct turnarounds and convert US 77 from an undivided roadway to a divided roadway with a variable-width median that would separate the northbound and southbound travel lanes. The proposed roadway would consist of two 12-foot-wide travel lanes in each direction, 4-foot-wide inside shoulders, 10-foot-wide outside shoulders and a depressed, grassy median. The purpose of the project is to upgrade US 77 to meet current design standards with the intent to improve safety and mobility. US 77 is designated as a non-contraflow hurricane evacuation route and part of the TxDOT Texas Highway Freight Network.
- Widening the roadway to create a four-lane divided roadway (two lanes in each direction) with a continuous center cable barrier.
- Separating travel lanes by adding a median with crossovers and deceleration left-turn lanes at regular intervals.
- Designing the roadway to include 12-foot lanes, 10-foot outside shoulders and a 4-foot inside shoulder.
- Adding acceleration and deceleration lanes at CR 114, FM 1624 and CR 327.
- Constructing/replacing twin bridges at Nails Creek, Elm Creek, West Yegua Creek and West Yegua Creek Relief.
The purpose of public involvement is to share project information and updates, present proposed schematics of the project and collect input from the community. Public input is a highly valued and important part of creating improvements to address transportation needs. TxDOT is committed to working closely with the community on all projects to ensure that interested community members have the opportunity to comment, voice concerns and ask questions.
- An open house will be scheduled for Fall 2020. More information will be posted on this website and communicated to all stakeholders.
Public Information Officer
TxDOT Austin District
P.O. Box 15426
Austin, TX 78761