Highway Funding & TxDOT's Budget
TxDOT is responsible for selecting projects for following funding categories:
- Preventive Maintenance and Rehabilitation
- Metropolitan Corridor Projects
- Urban Area Corridor Projects
- Statewide Connectivity Corridor Projects
- Structures Replacement and Rehabilitation
- Transportation Enhancements
- Miscellaneous Transportation
- District Discretionary
- Strategic Priority
TxDOT division personnel work with engineering and planning staff in the district offices, local and county officials, and the public through a public involvement process to select and program projects in the areas outside the metropolitan area boundaries.
MPO policy boards are responsible for programming projects in the following federal funding categories:
- Surface Transportation Program-Metropolitan Mobility (STP-MM),
- Congestion Mitigation and Air Quality Improvement Program (CMAQ) - if the area is designated non-attainment for air quality
- Transit Funding (e.g., FTA Section 5307 Urbanized Area Formula Program) as applicable.
MPOs develop their own Project Selection Procedures based on the transportation needs in their region.
TxDOT's budget is determined by its Finance Division which publishes forecasted and anticipated revenues the department receives from fuel taxes, vehicle registration fees, federal reimbursements, local matching funds and other state and local federal funds.
These forecasted revenue numbers are then provided to the districts and MPOs for allocation to projects that are listed in the rural and MPO TIPs. Funding levels are to be fiscally constrained throughout the life of the STIP. The April 2010 cash forecast is the basis for the revenue forecasts used in the STIP.