Service of Process on Nonresident Motorists - FAQ
Skip to main content
Texas Department of Transportation
Connecting You With Texas
  • Family
  • Jobs
  • Education
  • Opportunities
  • Attractions
  • Entertainment
  • Wide Open Spaces
  • History
  • Quality of Life
  • Sports
  • Parks
  • Shopping
  • Services
  • People
  • Wildflowers
  • BBQ
  • Shores
  • Schools
  • Rodeos
  • Music
  • Tacos
  • Adventure
  • Trails
  • Traditions
  • Safely
  • Sunsets
  • Culture
  • Festivals
  • Friends
  • Life
  • Possibilities
  • Legends


In what name should a citation be issued?

The citation must be issued in the name of the defendant with the Chair of the Texas Transportation Commission listed as the Agent for Service.

Who is the Chair?

J. Bruce Bugg, Jr. - formal title, Chair.

How should we serve the Commissioner?

In state court, service of process must be formally served as provided for in Rules 103 and 106 of the Texas Rules of Civil Procedure (TRCP), i.e. by a sheriff, constable, (appointed) civil process server, or clerk of the court, in person or by certified mail.

We do not accept service sent certified mail direct from plaintiff's law firm unless the lawsuit was filed in federal court.

Do you require a Texas Police/Peace Officer’s Accident Report?


What address should we use for service upon the Chair?

We do not accept service sent via mail directly from plaintiff's law firm unless the lawsuit was filed in federal court and sent certified.

If your lawsuit was filed in federal court, send the documents certified mail to the following address:

125 E 11th St.
Austin, Texas 78701

What is the fee for service?

There is no fee for the Chair's service of process.

For a $25 fee per defendant, any party may request a certificate from the Chair certifying any action or occurrence associated with the service of process.

How many copies of the citation and petition should we send?

Two copies of the citation and two copies of the petition.

Do you serve out of country?

Yes, as long as a complete address is furnished. We serve out of country via registered mail.

For additional information, contact the General Counsel Division at (512) 463-8630.




Copyright 2021  •  Texas Department of Transportation  •  All Rights Reserved  •  Disclaimer  •  Privacy & Security Policy  •  Accessibility
125 East 11th Street  •  Austin, Texas 78701