Flash Floods - Turn Around, Don’t Drown!
Flash flooding is the leading cause of weather-related deaths in Texas. If you encounter a flooded road, "Turn Around, Don't Drown."
- Never walk, swim, or drive through still or moving flood waters. The water may be hiding dangers such as debris, tree branches, power lines, or damage to the road. As little as six inches of fast-moving water can cause motorists to lose control of their vehicle, even a pickup truck or SUV.
- Stay informed about weather conditions when you are driving.
- Be especially careful driving at night when it can be harder to see flood dangers.
- If your vehicle stalls in deep water, leave it and move to higher ground if you can do so safely.
Here's the law
- Never drive around barriers blocking low water crossings or flooded roadways. Penalties include a fine of up to $2,000 and/or up to 180 days in jail.
- Tampering with roadway warning signs or barriers is punishable by a fine of up to $1,000, up to two years in jail, or both.