US 271 from FM 16 North to the Upshur County Line
TxDOT is developing plans for the expansion of US 271. The scope of work includes widening the existing two-lane roadway to a four-lane divided highway with flush and depressed medians. The project limits are from FM 16 in Smith County north to the Upshur County line. In Gladewater, the roadway expansion will follow Loop 485 around the downtown district rather than through the city. No widening will occur in the downtown area.
- Widening from a two-lane roadway to a four-lane highway with flush and depressed median sections
- Redesigning the roadway’s alignments to meet current standards
The project will require the acquisition of new right of way from adjacent property owners.
No additional public involvement is planned at this time. To date, the following outreach has occurred:
- TxDOT issued a Finding of No Significant Impact and Final Environmental Assessment on Sept. 8, 2021.
- TxDOT hosted the public hearing on May 20, 2021, and presented the draft environmental assessment and the 'best-fit' preferred alternative for public comment.
- TxDOT presented the preferred alternative for public comment on Oct 23, 2018. A copy of this alternative is available for viewing through the Interactive Map link below.
- TxDOT presented three design alternatives for public comment on April 24, 2018, at the first public meeting.
The project is expected to be constructed in three phases. Phase 1 extends from FM 16 in Smith County north to Loop 485 in Gladewater. Phase 2 involves the widening of Loop 485 around the east side of Gladewater to US 80. Phase 3 continues widening Loop 485 from US 80 north to US 271 and then along US 271 to the Upshur County line.
Next steps include:
- Phase 1 construction expected to begin Spring 2025
- Phase 2 construction expected to begin Summer 2025
- Phase 3 construction expected to begin Summer 2026
- Finding of No Significant Impact
- Final Environmental Assessment
- Project Map
- Interactive Map
- Animated Fly-Through
- Technical Reports
- Right of Way Publications