SH 63 Historic Bridge at Texas and Louisiana Border
The TxDOT Beaumont District is proposing improvements to the SH 63/LA 8 bridge at the Sabine River; this bridge crosses the Texas and Louisiana state line near the cities of Burkeville, Texas and Leesville, Louisiana.
The purpose of the proposed project is to provide a structurally sound bridge‐crossing that allows access for Texas and Louisiana motorists across the Sabine River, with a focus on providing a bridge with adequate width and height to safely accommodate existing and foreseeable future transportation needs.
Project needs and issues
- Sabine River shifting
- Problems with the bridge’s foundations
- Vehicles hitting overhead portions of the bridge
- Bridge is too narrow
- Deterioration of the bridge
- Outdated railing for modern vehicles
What’s happening now
Summer 2023 update
TxDOT’s consulting team is preparing to conduct a Mussel Survey and Alligator Snapping Turtle Survey. Additionally, the project team is further assessing wetlands at the project site to determine the appropriate amount of wetland mitigation.
- July 25, 2023 - Public Hearing (Leesville, Louisiana)
- July 27, 2023 - Public Hearing (Burkeville, Texas)