RM 620 from SH 71 to Hudson Bend Road
RM 620 South from SH 71 to Hudson Bend Road in western Travis County experiences significant congestion. Along most of its length, RM 620 South functions as both a local thoroughfare and commuter highway. In most cases, it is the sole access to subdivisions, businesses, and schools. It is also a primary access route to Lake Travis recreational facilities. Travis County’s rapid growth has placed increased demand on this already congested highway. Therefore, it is necessary to add travel capacity to improve mobility and safety along the corridor. The Capital Area Metropolitan Organization 2040 Regional Transportation Plan calls for RM 620 to be upgraded to a six-lane divided highway.
The Texas Department of Transportation is proposing improvements to RM 620 South between SH 71 and Hudson Bend Road in Travis County. The proposed project plans to address safety and mobility concerns along this section of RM 620 with the following improvements:
- Widening the existing 4-lane divided rural roadway to a 6-lane divided urban roadway, adding a third travel lane in each direction
- Adding raised medians
- Adding a continuous bike/pedestrian shared-use path along the corridor
The proposed project would require the use of right of way (ROW) from the City of Bee Cave Central Park, located along Bee Cave Parkway west of RM 620. The 50-acre park includes benches, pavilions, restrooms and other recreational facilities. There is a small section of pathway within the park boundaries that would be impacted by the proposed ROW. The proposed project would replace the impacted pathway with an 8-foot-wide shared-use path, which would connect to the existing pathway. Due to the minor impacts that would occur at the park resulting from the proposed project, TxDOT intends to pursue a de minimis finding, which means that no adverse effects to the park would occur.
- Open House #1: Oct. 10, 2018 at Lakeway Activity Center from 5-7 p.m.
- Open House #2: June 26, 2019 at Bee Cave City Hall from 5-7p.m.
- Public Hearing: Feb. 20, 2020 at Lake Travis High School from 5-7 p.m.
- Environmental Finding: Aug. 3, 2020
- Construction Contract: contingent on funding. TxDOT is actively seeking funds to advance the project.
The purpose of Open Houses and Public Hearings is to share project information and updates, present proposed project information, and collect community input. TxDOT is committed to working closely with the community on this project. All input will be considered as TxDOT moves forward in developing a plan to enhance the safety of this corridor while preparing for future growth.
- Open House – Wednesday, Oct. 10, 2018
- Open House - Wednesday, June 26, 2019
- Public Hearing - Thursday, Feb. 20, 2020
- Notice of FONSI and Final EA - Aug. 13, 2020
- Final Schematic
- Fact Sheet
- Existing Typical Section
- Proposed Typical Section
- Draft Environmental Assessment
TxDOT Project Manager
P.O. Box 15426
Austin, TX 78761-5426