Motorcycle Safety Campaign - Share the Road
TxDOT’s statewide “Share the Road: Look Twice for Motorcycles” motorcycle safety and public awareness campaign urges motorists to look twice for motorcycles, especially at intersections, where motorcycle collisions most commonly occur.
Why should drivers be aware of motorcyclists when traveling Texas roads?
On average, one motorcyclist dies in a crash on Texas roads every day. In 2020, 482 riders lost their lives and 1,856 were seriously injured in crashes. More than half of fatal motorcycle crashes result from collisions with other vehicles. Drivers simply don’t see the motorcycle or misjudge its distance and speed. The small size of motorcycles can make them appear farther away when they're actually closer. The combination of congested roadways, distracted driving and the difficulty of seeing motorcycles in traffic has led to many preventable fatalities each year.
What are some tips for safely sharing the road with motorcycles?
- Take extra care when making a left turn. It is safest to let the motorcycle pass to avoid turning in front of the rider.
- Pay special attention at intersections. Nearly one in three motorcycle fatalities happens at a roadway intersection.
- Give driving your full attention. Even a momentary distraction, such as answering a phone call or changing the radio station, can have deadly consequences.
- Look twice when changing lanes. Check mirrors, blind spots, and always use turn signals.
- Give motorcycles room when passing them. Move over to the passing lane and don’t crowd the motorcyclist’s full lane.
- Stay back. If you’re behind a motorcycle, always maintain a safe following distance. When a motorcyclist downshifts instead of applying the brake to slow down, it can catch drivers off guard since there are no brake lights to signal reduced speed.
- Slow down. Obey posted speed limits and drive to conditions.
Social Media Shareables
- Billboards (English, Español)
- Bumper Sticker - Rectangular (English, Español)
- Bumper Sticker - Square (English, Español)
- Hand Fan
- Info Card (English, Español)
- Paper Glasses
- Poster (English, Español)
- Pump Toppers (English, Español)
- Spiral Notepad (English, Español)
- Travel Card Game (English, Español)
- Yard Sign (English, Español)
- Look Twice Instructional Animation
- PSA "Invisible" :15 (English, Español) YouTube: (English, Español)
- PSA "Invisible: :30 (English, Español), YouTube: (English, Español)
- PSA "Pictures": 15 (English, Español)
- PSA "Pictures": 30 (English, Español)