Donley County Safety Rest Area
Texas safety rest areas feature many benefits for travelers in Texas.
Our 76 safety rest areas feature 24-hour restrooms. Most locations have attendants on duty 24 hours a day. Other locations have attendants on duty from 6 a.m. to 6 p.m. daily.
Donley County eastbound
- IH 40 - Eastbound, 1 hour drive east of Amarillo.
- Latitude/longitude: 35.1792, -100.8353
- Mile marker: 129
Donley County northbound
- US 287 - Northbound, 4 miles east of Hedley.
- Latitude/longitude: 34.8269, -100.6101
Donley County southbound
- US 287 - Southbound, 4 miles east of Hedley.
- Latitude/longitude: 34.8324, -100.6197
- Two sets of men's and women's restrooms.
- Interpretive displays.
- Air-conditioned lobby and restrooms.
- Picnic tables.
- Diaper changing stations.
- Drinking water.
- Separate truck and passenger parking.
- Family/assisted restroom.
- Storm shelter.
- Handicap access.
- Vending machines.
- Newly constructed facility opened in Spring 2003.
- Facility design is a playful representation of the Art Deco architecture associated with Route 66 (former name of I-40).
- Interpretive displays in lobby areas.
- Northbound and southbound: The railroad design theme reflects nearby Hedley's historic role as a "railroad hamlet" where cattle were loaded onto rail cars for transportation to distant markets.
- Northbound and southbound: Water from roofs and run-offs is collected and recycled for irrigation.