Concho County Safety Rest Area
Texas safety rest areas feature many benefits for travelers in Texas.
Our 76 safety rest areas feature 24-hour restrooms. Most locations have attendants on duty 24 hours a day. Other locations have attendants on duty from 6 a.m. to 6 p.m. daily.
- US 87 - west of Eden, serving traffic both directions.
- Latitude/longitude: 31.2177, -99.9622
- Air-conditioned lobby and restrooms.
- Interpretive displays.
- Diaper changing stations.
- Men's and women's restrooms.
- Drinking water.
- Picnic tables.
- Family/assisted restroom.
- Security surveillance.
- Handicap access.
- Vending machines.
- Reconstructed facility completed in Spring 2021. The new limestone building was inspired by frontier forts, notably Fort Concho in the nearby City of San Angelo. The new building incorporates exhibits of local features, including replicas of rock pictographs found along the banks of the Concho River.
- The county derives its name from the Concho (or "Shell") River, which in turn was named for the large number of mussels found there.
- Nearby attractions include boating, hunting, fishing, the Paint Rock pictographs, and the Concho County Fair, which is held annually in August and September.