Coke County Safety Rest Area
Texas safety rest areas feature many benefits for travelers in Texas.
Our 76 safety rest areas feature 24-hour restrooms. Most locations have attendants on duty 24 hours a day. Other locations have attendants on duty from 6 a.m. to 6 p.m. daily.
- US 87: north of Water Valley, serving traffic in both directions.
- Latitude/longitude: 31.7017, -100.78
- Air-conditioned lobby and restrooms.
- Interpretive displays.
- Drinking water.
- Men's and women's restrooms.
- Handicap access.
- Picnic tables.
- Reconstructed facility opened in Summer 2003. The new design is driven by Fort Concho, other older buildings, and some of the ranch architecture in the San Angelo area. Materials (local stone) were selected to compliment that found in the buildings of the fort as where forms (two-story, porches, fireplace), scale, and some details.
- The county was named for Richard Coke, a Texas governor.
- Recreation in the county centers around hunting and fishing at Lake Spence and Oak Creek Reservoir.