US 90 from I-10 to FM 1463
TxDOT is proposing to widen US 90 from I-10 to FM 1463 in Waller, Fort Bend and Harris Counties. The purpose of the proposed project is to improve mobility and safety in the surrounding area.
In the state of Texas, US 90 is a major east-west highway with large portions running parallel to I-10. Recently, the project area has experienced a growth in commercial development creating congestion and delays along US 90 and its nearby intersections. The lack of median space for vehicle turns poses safety concerns including an increase in potential crashes along the roadway. Currently, US 90 is a two-lane roadway with a 12-foot-wide travel lane in each direction, 8-foot-wide shoulders on the outside of the travel lanes and open ditches for drainage. In the City of Brookshire, US 90 widens to four 11.5-foot-wide travel lanes with reduced shoulders and a partial curb and gutter for drainage. The Union Pacific Railroad is north of the roadway right-of-way (ROW) from Koomey Road to FM 1463. The current ROW width is approximately 100 feet with a maximum width of 324 feet.
The proposed widening of US 90 would include:
- Reconstructing US 90 from a two-lane roadway to a four-lane roadway with a raised median
- Adding a center left-turn lane to the existing four-lane roadway within the City of Brookshire
- Adding sidewalks, shared-use paths and/or bikeways to both sides of the roadway
Within the City of Brookshire, improvements would include adding a center left turn lane to the existing four-lane roadway. A sidewalk and bikeway are also proposed. Any improvements from I-10 to Donigan Rd are limited to pavement upgrade and striping. Overall, the estimated construction cost is approximately $113 million.
- Receive approval for supplemental environmental studies
- Obtain environmental permits
- Finalize design
- Begin ROW acquisition - dependent on funding
- Begin construction - dependent on funding
- Notice (Español)
- Presentation and script
- Presentation and script (Español)
- Environmental constraints map
- Exhibit boards
- Fact sheet
- Fact sheet (Español)
- Comment card (English and Español)
- Landowner's rights, state purchase of right of way and relocation assistance
- Documentation of public meeting