The $301 million Irving Interchange project will include the reconstruction of interchanges at SH 183, SH 114, Loop 12, and Spur 482. Loop 12 will be reconstructed and widened from six to eight lanes for a length of 1.2 miles that begins on the south end of Union Bower Road to the north of Texas Plaza Drive. The project will also include the widening of SH 114 from Loop 12 to SH 183 and Spur 482 with direct connectors. Spur 482 will be reconstructed from west of Century Center Boulevard to the interchange and will tie into SH 183 with direct connectors.
This is a Texas Clear Lanes project. Texas Clear Lanes is a statewide strategic plan to provide congestion relief through non-tolled roads and is focused on the five largest metro areas in Texas.
The overall length of the project is about 9.6 miles including bridges and direct connectors.
Phase 1 of the Irving Interchange was completed in 2013 which reconstructed the interchanges at SH 114 and Loop 12. The SH 183 Midtown Express design-build project also recently completed interim improvements in the area. The Irving Interchange project will construct the ultimate phase of the interchanges at SH 183, Loop 12, SH 114, and Spur 482.
Construction began late 2020 and is anticipated to be complete mid-2023, weather permitting.
Summer 2022 construction update
- Project is at 55 percent completion with 46 percent elapsed time.
- Anticipated project completion – Late summer 2023.
- Roadway work such as the asphalt, concrete pavement and subgrade preparation continue along Loop 12, Spur 482 and SH 114, as well as main lane widening.
- Concrete pavement along northbound Loop 12 is partially complete and ready for interim traffic switch.
- Retaining wall construction is currently underway along Loop 12, SH 114 and westbound SH 183.
- Bridge deck pour continues on bridges along Loop 12 and Spur 482.
- Several substructures (drilled Shaft, columns and bent caps) for bridges over Loop 12, SH 183 and Spur 482, including direct connectors, are currently under construction.
- Girder installation for various bridges and direct connectors along Spur 482, SH 114 and SH 183 is partially complete and ongoing for other spans.
- Excavation and subgrade work continues along Loop 12, SH 183 and SH 114.
Virtual groundbreaking celebration
- Irving Interchange Virtual Groundbreaking Celebration
- Irving Interchange Virtual Groundbreaking Celebration – short version