The project includes the reconstruction of interchanges at SH 183, SH 114, Loop 12 and Spur 482. Loop 12 will be completely reconstructed and widened from six to eight lanes for a length of 1.2 miles that begins on the south end of Union Bower Road to north of Texas Plaza Drive. The project also includes widening SH 114 from Loop 12 to SH 183 and Spur 482 with direct connectors. Spur 482 will be reconstructed from west of Century Center Boulevard to the interchange and will tie into SH 183 with direct connector
This is a Texas Clear Lanes project. Texas Clear Lanes is a statewide strategic plan to provide congestion relief through non-tolled roads and is focused on the five largest metro areas in Texas.
The overall length of the project is about 9.6 miles, including bridges and direct connectors.
Phase 1 of the Irving Interchange was completed in 2013, which reconstructed the interchanges at SH 114 and Loop 12. The SH 183 Midtown Express design-build project also recently completed interim improvements in the area. The Irving Interchange project will construct the ultimate phase of the interchanges at SH 183, Loop 12, SH 114, and Spur 482.
Construction began late 2020 and is anticipated to be complete mid-2024, weather permitting.
Fall construction updates 2023
- Project is at 81 percent completion
- NB Loop 12 concrete pavement is partially complete and open for traffic.
- SB Loop 12 Braided Ramp & SH 183 WB frontage road overpass Loop 12 bridges are completed and opened for traffic
- SB Loop 12 frontage road underpass SH 183 is partially completed and opened for traffic
- Bridge deck pours and superstructure work continues on bridges along Loop 12 and SH 183 interchanges
- Roadway work such as asphalt and concrete pavement and subgrade preparation, continues along Loop 12, SH 183, and SH 114
- Excavation and subgrade work continues along Loop 12, SH 183 and SH 114
- Traffic signals, lighting, and sign structures are being installed at various location within the project
- Substructure work continues along Loop 12, SH 183 and, Spur 482
- 85 percent of the retaining walls are completed along Loop 12 and SH 114 and SH 183
- Girder installation for various bridges/ direct connectors along Spur 482, SH 114 and SH 183 is partially completed and is on-going for other spans
Virtual groundbreaking celebration
- Irving Interchange Virtual Groundbreaking Celebration
- Irving Interchange Virtual Groundbreaking Celebration – short version