The $301 million Irving Interchange project will include the reconstruction of interchanges at SH 183, SH 114, Loop 12, and Spur 482. Loop 12 will be reconstructed and widened from six to eight lanes for a length of 1.2 miles that begins on the south end of Union Bower Road to the north of Texas Plaza Drive. The project will also include the widening of SH 114 from Loop 12 to SH 183 and Spur 482 with direct connectors. Spur 482 will be reconstructed from west of Century Center Boulevard to the interchange and will tie into SH 183 with direct connectors.
This is a Texas Clear Lanes project. Texas Clear Lanes is a statewide strategic plan to provide congestion relief through non-tolled roads and is focused on the five largest metro areas in Texas.
The overall length of the project is about 9.6 miles, including bridges and direct connectors.
Phase 1 of the Irving Interchange was completed in 2013, which reconstructed the interchanges at SH 114 and Loop 12. The SH 183 Midtown Express design-build project also recently completed interim improvements in the area. The Irving Interchange project will construct the ultimate phase of the interchanges at SH 183, Loop 12, SH 114, and Spur 482.
Construction began late 2020 and is anticipated to be complete mid-2024, weather permitting.
Winter construction updates 2023
- Project is at 65% completion with 57% elapsed time.
- Anticipated project completion – late spring 2024.
- Phase 1 of the direct connector from eastbound SH 114 to eastbound SH 183 has been opened to traffic. The newly constructed bridge from southbound Spur 482 to Maryland Drive will be opened before the holidays with the installation of a new traffic signal at SH 183 and Maryland Drive.
- 27 retaining walls have been completed along Loop 12, SH 183, SH 114 and Spur 482.
- Roadway work such as asphalt concrete pavement and subgrade preparation continues along Loop 12, SH 183 and SH 114.
- Several bridge decks over Loop 12, SH 183, SH 114 and Spur 482 including direct connectors are currently under construction.
- Drainage culverts and pipes along Loop 12 and SH 183 main lanes are under construction.
- The City of Irving utility work is 99% complete.
Virtual groundbreaking celebration
- Irving Interchange Virtual Groundbreaking Celebration
- Irving Interchange Virtual Groundbreaking Celebration – short version