TxDOT has preliminary plans to expand State Highway 31 from Loop 323 in the city of Tyler, east to FM 1639 in Gregg County. The project widens the existing two-lane roadway to a four-lane divided highway with flush and depressed medians to address safety concerns along the corridor.
- Widening from a two-lane roadway to a four-lane highway with flush and depressed medians
- Redesigning the roadway’s alignments to meet current design standards
- The addition of curb and gutter in the urbanized areas
The project will require the acquisition of new right-of-way from adjacent property owners.
Public involvement activities associated with the preliminary design are complete. No additional meetings are planned at this time. The following outreach was held in conjunction with the development of the preliminary design:
- TxDOT posted a notice of availability for Draft Environmental Assessment and an Opportunity for Public Hearing on July 24, 2020.
- TxDOT presented the preferred alternative for public comment on July 24, 2018.
- TxDOT presented four design alternatives for public comment on Nov. 14, 2017, and Nov. 16, 2017, in the cities of Kilgore and Tyler, respectively.
TxDOT issued a Finding of No Significant Impact on Oct. 15, 2020.
Next steps include:
- Right-of-Way Acquisitions - 2022 (tentatively)
- Funding for construction is not yet identified
- Project Map
- Interactive Map
- Proposed Typical Sections
- Environmental Map
- Proposed Intersection Improvements Animation
- Final Environmental Assessment
TxDOT Tyler District
Attn: Advanced Project Development Office
2709 W. Front St.
Tyler, TX 75702