The TxDOT Odessa District (in partnership with Permian Basin MPO and City of Odessa) has identified Loop 338 as a top priority, transportation project candidate. FM 89 is the main arterial highway between the communities of Abilene and Wylie and has a variable mix of residential and commercial properties along the roadway. As these communities have expanded over the past several years, traffic from US 83/84 to Chimney Rock Road has increased significantly, creating congestion, increased crash rates and several other safety concerns for the traveling public, as well as pedestrians.
In an effort to enhance the safety for all users of Loop 338, a transportation study has begun to help identify improvements that can be made to the roadway. This study will analyze issues such as:
- Impacts to safety through access management with the use of raised medians
- Drainage issues and possible solutions
- Ways to provide improved pedestrian access
- Right of way needs for future roadway expansion
- Environmental impacts
Public input is crucial to this study's success, and all members of the community are highly encouraged to give feedback and suggestions on what improvement they do, and do not want to see. Public involvement opportunities will be posted here as they are scheduled.
The proposed project would construct collector-distributor lanes and improvements to the I-10 and US 85 interchange. Total project length is approximately 5.75 miles between SH 20 (Mesa Street) and Executive Center Boulevard.
- New lanes along both sides of I-10
- Improved connectors at Resler Drive and Sunland Park Drive
- Interchange improvements at Mesa Street, Sunland Park Drive and Executive Center Boulevard
Loop 338 from Trunk Street to Business I-20
Improvements to East Loop 338 between Trunk Street and Business Interstate 20 in Ector County to address increased commercial traffic in the area.
Loop 338 from south of Truck Street to north of US 80
Proposed improvements are designed to improve operations and reduce potential conflicts/hazards due to recent increase in truck traffic.
- Addition of traffic signal at Trunk Street
- Addition of a northbound exit ramp between Trunk Street and Cargo Road to accommodate truck traffic
- Conversion of two-way frontage roads to one-way operation
- Fact Sheet
- Schematic 1
TxDOT Odessa District
3901 E. Highway 80
Odessa, TX 79761