US 59 Upgrade Moffett to SH 103 - Future I-69
This project is dedicated to improving safety, enhancing mobility and providing system connectivity along US 59, US 69 and SL 287 from State Highway 103 East to just north of Farm to Market 3439 (Spence Street). It is also designed to improve vertical clearances at the bridges.
In 2008, TxDOT received a Finding of No Significant Impact from the Federal Highway Administration issuing clearance of the environmental document and final approval of the schematic. Due to budgetary constraints, construction of the project was divided into three phases.
Phases I and III were completed in Spring 2017 and included:
- Constructing new railroad overpass on US 59
- Constructing new northbound overpass to replace single lane ramp on US 59
- Constructing new southbound overpass to replace single lane circular ramp on US 59
- Constructing new lanes on US 69/SL 287 with frontage roads
- Constructing new underpass at Business 59 (Timberland Drive) and the Angelina Neches River Railroad crossing
Phase II, which received construction funding in the March 2017 Unified Transportation Program, involves the widening of the US 59 overpass at AN&R Railroad, construction of northbound and southbound frontage roads and reconstruction of the US 59 main lanes. The proposed improvements will also be designed to meet interstate standards for potential future designation as I-69.
Phase II Next Steps
- Schematic and environmental studies for Phases I – III were approved in 2008.
- Construction of Phase I and III was completed in Spring 2017, but construction of Phase II was put on hold due to budget constraints.
- Funding for Phase II was allocated in TxDOT's Unified Transportation Program and subsequently in the Statewide Transportation Improvement Program.
- Detailed engineering plans, necessary environmental permits, right of way acquisitions and utility relocations were completed in Winter 2021.
- Longview Bridge and Road Ltd. was awarded the $19.3M project and began construction in February 2021. The project is anticipated to be complete in Spring 2023.
I-69 Project Manager
TxDOT Lufkin District
1805 N. Timberland Drive
Lufkin, TX 75901